Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 156 Sportwagon is making an intermittant noise which I'm struggling to identify:cry:. It is definatly related to road speed but only appears sometimes. At around 30 mph it sounds like a regular but very light and quiet thud thud thud but dissapears below about 10 mph and above 35-40. It is the same on drive and overrun, and I can't feel anything through the steering so I don't think its the front driveshafts, cvs etc and it seems to be coming from the rear - but I'm not sure. It almost sounds like a wildly out of balance wheel, and it first appeared one moring this week when the temperature ware around -3C. Wheels are all on tight, tyres appear to be still round :)
It does seem to go away when the car's warmed up.....
What does the team think?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a simular noise on a sportwagon I once had - turned out to be top shockmounts.
Fairly easy to do, just need to take all the boot lining out.

Tricky to identify, so if you can get the whole suspension leg out - it is much esier.

I managed to pick up a pair of top mounts for about £120...

easy fix though

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I had that on an old car (Sunbeam Rapier 3) that turned out to be a tyre problem; there was a lump on the inside of the tyre that was difficult to spot. A new cross ply cured the problem - they were the days!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts