Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the rear retractable luggage cover for my 156 Sportwagon has fallen apart. Does anyone have a second hand one for sale, or know where I can get one from?...

John.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Depending on what has happened to yours though, it might be fixable. Do a search on here, there are instructions somewhere.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I've repaired mine. When you get the cover off (it's obvious which side has the spring mechanism) you'll find it all loose. The problem is that the spring loading is held by 2 plastic lugs that snap off from the cups. Remove the 2 cups (one for each blind) which are now loose. They push through a metal plate but there's nothing now to hold them in place. The fix is to find a pin about nail size or cut down a nail and then drill a hole through the cup to be a force fit for the nail. Put the cup back through the metal plate and then force in the pin/nail to hold it through the plate. You can then reassemble noting that the roller spring will push the whole assembly to tighten your new pin. The final part is to retension. I did this with a pair of thin nose pliers. You just push the cup in slightly to relieve the pressure on the pin/nail and then turn 180 degrees at a time. If you stop at the 90 degree position you'll find a notch in the metal plate that will allow the pin to come back through; so avoid this.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Have you got any of the other luggage net paraphenalia from the 156 SW Ned?

Also, how the hell do you spell paraphenalia?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've repaired mine.
And so have I

Chris - many thanks for the how to. I'd read the advice - or something like it - before but you made it sound easier so, when mine all fell apart at one end I had nothing to lose.

I think it is easier to fit the new 'pins' to the cups and then reinsert them but apart from that deviation the instructions were flawless. I used M3 screws which had just enough thread to bite the plastic so they are not entirely an interference fit. Once the screws were far enough through I cut the head and surplus length of shaft off. I'd recommend drilling a pilot hole with a fine drill first - it helps you check/get the angle right with the second, larger, drill but this is not fine tolerance stuff as long as you keep to the spot where the original lugs have sheared off - you will see the evidence

If the blind has not fallen apart yet the two screws to release the end cover are the ones under the arbitrary piece of sponge on the face that sits in the plastic side moulding in the car. The screws secure the cover to the two cups Chris describes which, unbelievably, are practically all that hold the whole plot together.

I hated driving without it in place and that it did not wind up... which it now does. Result.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts