Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this in the engines section of the forum, but there doesnt seem to be that many people in there, so I hope its ok to post in here too with the same topic.

Hi everyone, I know you must be sick of these threads coming up all the time, so I apologise in advance.

My recently purchased 156 has started making an unpleasant clicking/tapping sort of noise, and hasnt got the power to pull the socks off a dead nun.

the noise certainly sounds like its coming from the top end, and all the stuff i have read so far suggests the variator is knackered.

the noise only happens above idle speed though; it sits at idle very nicely.

there is also a different clicking noise that seems to come in only at a certain throttle position (cruising pressure) rather than being related to engine speed.

the other thing is that in the day or so prior to the tapping noise starting, its been making a bit of a whining noise too, though its not very loud (i dont think it did this before, but i have only had the car 3 days so it could be that i just didnt notice it before). not sure if this is related?

the variator and related bits and pieces were replaced 12000 miles (2 1/2 years) ago. is it likely that its died again so soon?

thanks,

Tom

oh and even before the latest noises, the car was totally gutless both below 3k rpm and above 4.5k rpm and only mediocre in between. im guessing this is a MAF issue?

also also, the engine temp gauge appears to be non functional, and the cooling fans come on as soon as you start the engine, even when everything is stone cold. thermostat?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Show it to a comempetent mobile mechanic for 15 mins cos it could be a head gasket issue or a number of less worrying issues.On the other hand if its overheated piston slap does not bode well.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
As I posted on 'Pistonheads', the lack of temperature display and constant fans will be a broken or corroded connection to the temperature sender. It's on the nearside of the engine beside the battery. As this connects to the ECU the engine will be getting duff messages and is a good place to start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. im getting a mobile mechanic that my friend swears by to come look at it tomorrow, though I am a bit dubious as apparently when my friend mentioned cam variators to him on the phone, he thought my friend was making things up...

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine had a loud tick, oil change and a bottle of "liqui moly - tappet stop noise" and no more ticking.
worth a shot at least

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies gents.

friendly local mechanic has had a look at it and reckons the variator is fine, but the oil pump is broke.

He also said that the oil pump is a pain to get at, and for the labour cost of sorting the oil pump (and any other bits its taken with it) it might be easier to just drop a new engine in there.

what would you guys do?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi,
if the oil pump was broke, wouldn't the oil pressure warning light come on?, low power sounds like intake problem, weather its air filter MAF, which may need cleaning with isopropol alcohol, intake butterfly valve, or clogged fuel injectors, i would take apart the intake pipes, (from air filter to throttle valve).
also, check conditions of the 8 spark plugs

ticking noise could relate to the fuel injectors, you can hear them clearly on mine.

with the cooling, sounds like your temp sensor is gone or faulty connection, when you get that working, make sure your cooling temperature is doing its job, (10 mins or so to go from start to 90deg > stat opens and drops to 75-80deg)

hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the oil light flickers while the engine is running, even though there is plenty of oil in it.
the car is with the mechanic now, so I have to take his word for it really

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The oil light is for pressure not quantity. If it's on, you've got trouble. Oil pumps rarely fail. More likely to have big end bearing problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts