Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a sportswagon and need factory roof rails, can these be retrofitted to a SW, and if so are they readily available from scrappers, or do i have to find one with them already fitted, cheers, pete.

·
Registered
452 Posts
There was a guy asking about this the other week. He had some rails for his SW but needed to git them.
As far as I can remember we fathomed out that he would need to drill the roof - obviously. What we couldn't figure out was if there were specific mounting points on the SW or would he have to take all the roof liner off and put something inside.
Not sure where it ended up - dealer may know?

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
SR had some fitted on his old SW didn't he - maybe PM him :)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Having took mine off to respay;

There are drill holes going through the roof and which looks like a bolt underneith (or the bolts may even be welded into the roof itself as the roof surface under the bars was a bit uneven).

You'd have to take the rooflining off as i could see a hole doing down into the car (which i had to seal up until my bars were ready to stop water getting in) You should be able to get a bolt under there.

Apparently there is a difference in the strength of the roof depending whether the car has rails or not. When i took mine off the car was a bit more creaky & wobbly so this sounds true. Maybe putting roof rails on a non-roof railed sw would strengthen the car even more!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They can't be retro fitted as the internal parts of the roof are factory strengthened. If you go for the Alfa Hi line roof bars, they look great but ruin your door to roof rubbers:mad:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Don't think there is anything stopping you bending the roof lining down and popping a bolt under it though. May take more drilling on a standard sw though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Before you get the drill out drop the roof lining alongthe edge as there may be captured nuts already inplace to take the bolts from the rails - if they are then all you need to do is open holes up to accept the bolts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I too would really like to add silver roof bars (especially if they tighten up the car :) )

I just a had a quick squiz at eLearn and taking out the roof lining is a big task. When I get the car back tomorrow I will see if it's possible to check by peeling/removing just a bit at the back (or front), although i'm a bit wary of the airbags. I can't see an eLearn process for removing fitting the bars although there are pictures of the internal structure. It looks to me that the bolts screw into the upper body frame (through the roof.. see below) and the roof is just bonded to car.

I'd have thought Alfa (sensibly) would put all the hard fittings (captured nuts) in, like they do with the main wiring loom for the sake of economy when building the car ie. less processes if you just put all the nuts/mounts in as opposed to seperate processes for each option.

Only difference might be cars with a sunroof, although perhaps that mounts to the internal structure too - and is just sealed to the roof??
Does anybody know if you could only get the rails WITH the sunroof ?
How were the options specc'd?

from ePer / eLearn

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ahh.. so fitment is not specific to sunroof.

It's looking more like any SW can have them.. i'll check out mine too (it's also sans rails).
I plan on looking only at the back (no airbags).

Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi fitted a set to my wifes sportwagon.
take of side covers inside rear pillars .slide out the roof linning through tailgate .
you can just make out captive nuts inside triple box section .make a point on a 30mm long 6mmbolt the one with ten mm head
thread it into the front until you can see the point comming through from inside put some tape over mark with a small centr punch drill 6mm hole check wether it is front or back hole do the same on the other side square and fasten rails on drill 3mm hole to make sure you are in hole remove rail open hole out clean seal and fit bars easy takes about 6 hours and lots of sweat,. wife wondered what i had been messing about at not being a multi tasker?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I had a good look but can not find the fittings on my 156 SW, does anyone have any pictures ? Else I have a set of black rails available for sale

1 - 15 of 15 Posts