Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unfortunate enough to live half way up a long road with speed bumps in which ever direction I leave or arrive home. So I expect my suspension gets more stressed than most other cars in that respect. Every time I drive over the humps (actually noisier and more prominent at slower speeds I.e -20mph) there is creaking/squeaking coming from the front. Moreso on the left side than the right.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the cause?

PS: I have a '99 156 2.5 auto.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep... +1 upper wishbone bushes are dry. Remove and re grease them with red rubber grease... easy enough to do and will prevent further wear.. Do this asap or new upper wishbones will be needed within a matter of months;)

·
Registered
930 Posts
It probably is the uppers, but there are occasions where it isnt. Certainly in my case, I had the same problem, insanely annoying, so loud it turns peoples heads...

I replaced my uppers, and the creak is still there.

I disconnected the ARB and went for a drive and noise gone.

Its worth replacing the uppers anyway as in most cases they are the cause of the creak, but also you'll notice a huge improvement in handling assuming they havent been done for a while.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking it could be the ARB bushes creaking as the momentum of the car shifts forwards and backwards. Car went in to garage yesterday to investigate suspension creaking and apparently the ARB bushes are completely shot.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All cured.
Problem was down to the anti roll bar bushes and drop links. All replaced. Car rides much more firmly and no squeaks or rattles over the bumps! beaut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts