Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knows if I can buy templates to fit a 5" speaker into a 156 door pod? Or do I have to get a jig saw and MDF?!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Best is to manufacture some from MDF.....
The standard ones you can get are almost all plastic, which is not as good....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best is to manufacture some from MDF.....
The standard ones you can get are almost all plastic, which is not as good....
So I bought a jigsaw and mdf, spent ages measuring making them and using foam/felt to sandwich onto plastic. Rear coaxial sounds great, components sound ****. I don't know if my woofer is blown or 13cm is just not enough. Lacks mid and base when driven on head unit and when volume up to 20/30 woofer starts to distort/pop. Thinking about putting original woofers back in and just using infinity tweeters up top. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I bought a jigsaw and mdf, spent ages measuring making them and using foam/felt to sandwich onto plastic. Rear coaxial sounds great, components sound ****. I don't know if my woofer is blown or 13cm is just not enough. Lacks mid and base when driven on head unit and when volume up to 20/30 woofer starts to distort/pop. Thinking about putting original woofers back in and just using infinity tweeters up top. Any suggestions?
Anyone?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Couple things:

1. ensure they are in phase: that is, ensure the + and - are correct. When in phase, both woofers should move 'in-out' in unison, as opposed on moving 'in-out' whilst the other moves 'out-in'
2. seal over the open service holes in the doors: bass leaks out the holes, so you want to create an 'enclosure' for the woofers; you can use self-adhesive sound deadener (eg: Dynamat Xtreme), so consult with your local retailer

And of course ensure there's no gaps and air leaks around your new speakers and mdf baffles, but seems like you've done a good job there. If you haven't already, give the mdf a coat of paint, to make them moisture-proof, otherwise they'll swell and start to disintegrate over time.

But unfortunately, bass depends on moving large volumes of air. Small speakers will not produce as much bass as bigger ones, all else being equal. However, the above steps will help optimise the performance of what you have.

As an upgrade, you could add an amplifier.

:)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple things:

1. ensure they are in phase: that is, ensure the + and - are correct. When in phase, both woofers should move 'in-out' in unison, as opposed on moving 'in-out' whilst the other moves 'out-in'
2. seal over the open service holes in the doors: bass leaks out the holes, so you want to create an 'enclosure' for the woofers; you can use self-adhesive sound deadener (eg: Dynamat Xtreme), so consult with your local retailer

And of course ensure there's no gaps and air leaks around your new speakers and mdf baffles, but seems like you've done a good job there. If you haven't already, give the mdf a coat of paint, to make them moisture-proof, otherwise they'll swell and start to disintegrate over time.

But unfortunately, bass depends on moving large volumes of air. Small speakers will not produce as much bass as bigger ones, all else being equal. However, the above steps will help optimise the performance of what you have.

As an upgrade, you could add an amplifier.

:)
Cheers, I don't think it's either of those 2. The tweeter works perfectly and the template is well sealed. When I put the original back in it works fine.

Probably right I should invest in some 6" units. I do have an amp but tbh can't be bothered with the faff of installing, esp as the 156 will be my 2nd car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts