Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, im new to this forum and i hope you guys can help.

Has anyone ever experienced a small knocking or bump feeling when using the clutch?

The clutch still works fine although it may be close to the end of its life. Ive been told that the problem may not be with the clutch itself but in the mechanism of the pedal. Its kind of hard to describe, best i can do is to say that the motion is not completely smooth and at a certain point there is a small amount of resistance almost like a bump.

I really hope someone can give me a few pointers.

Thanks for reading.

Chris.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine does something similar. There is a kind of notchiness part way through the pedal travel and it is accompanied by a creaking noise. I keep thinking that it's going to let me down, but it's done 6000 miles like that. Someone greased the actuator to try to cure it, but it didn't work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds very similar Smithy 'notchiness' is a good way of describing it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine does something similar. At times it also gets really stiff and occasionally has stuck and not come up fully. Searching the forum, I'm thinking it may be either the master or slave cylinder playing up although I'm not losing any hydraulic fluid. It did seem worse in the cold weather we had recently.
It's booked in tomorrow to have it looked at, as it's certainly not reassuring especially when it sticks - I'll let you know what the result is. (As luck would have it, it has been ok since I booked it in. It hasn't really played up since the weekend!)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Mines the same. Completely random in my case. Hard and notchy one moment, just heavy but no notchyness the next. I've asked here before but nobody seems to have any real idea other than "the clutch is on the way out". This might be true but to me it doesn't feel like the clutch itself, more like something in the hydraulics. It actually feels as if a piston in one of the hydraulic cylinders is binding slightly possibly due to crap in the fluid catching in the seals. There is also a hydraulic damper in the system which, when you look at how it works, might also cause problems with the pedal feel.

I'm going to bleed the hydraulics and see if new fluid helps things (clutch hydraulics never seem to get flushed like brakes do). It might flush out any crap that's built up in the cylinders and make them smoother, worth a try. I'm also tempted to remove the damper since it's only there to stop engine vibration transmitting back to the clutch pedal to make it feel "nicer". Other people have done the same and reckoned it improved things.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Mine, when hot, occasionally does this, there's just one point in it's travel where there's a 'click'. But it's been like that for 3 years, and not got any worse, and never seemed to have any other effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine also does this occasionally, usually (but not always) in cold or wet weather. Clutch seems fine. The pedal has been like this for about three months I would say.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Mine, when hot, occasionally does this, there's just one point in it's travel where there's a 'click'. But it's been like that for 3 years, and not got any worse, and never seemed to have any other effect.

·
Registered
405 Posts
im in the bump club too :thumbs: something i noticed with mine, when i greased the master cylinder a while back because it was creaking it seemed a lot smoother after.. now the grease has dried out the creak and the bump are back. coincedence:confused:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
im in the bump club too :thumbs: something i noticed with mine, when i greased the master cylinder a while back because it was creaking it seemed a lot smoother after.. now the grease has dried out the creak and the bump are back. coincedence:confused:
Errr ... might be. Might give that a try ... a lot easier than bleeding and hacking out dampers !:)

B

·
0 Posts
Mine was the same but after I fitted new clutch kit it went,think it must have been the pressure plate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That notchyness is the clutch release bearing grinding the clutch pressure plate, new clutch and actuator time.
next thing to happen will be the bearing going through the pressure plate and the clutch pedal going to the floor with no resistence, oh and you will be broke down!:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts