Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the threads on the sidelight bulb replacement and still can't figure out how to replace the blown bulb.
I've attached the images of what I think is the process but I can't for the life of me work out what comes next. And it's certainly not obvious from what I can see. It's the most painful bulb replacement procedure I've ever come across.
Can anyone please help me and tell me what to do to get the bulb out.

Pic 1 : this shows the the small bulb in the middle that I have to replace
Pic 2 : this is the back of the headlight and I am assuming the circled unit is what I have to remove
Pic 3 : I have disconnected the cables from the back of the unit
Pic 4 : bu turning the unit 90degrees it pops out and the white spindle can be detached from the inside unit by lifting the end out of the white U shaped holder - still visible inside the hole
Pic 5 : show as much as I can see inside the hole. It's certainly not big enough to fit 2 fingers inside. I can grasp the white spindle inside the hole with a needle nose pliers but there is not give.

What do I do next to replace that damn bulb ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
No thats not the part.....you have to bend your wrist around and go much further into the unit as expected and there is a flat tab....pull it...careful not to break it off.

its inside (the 3rd pic) outer most or left plastic cover

when the cover is off and you know wot ur aiming for try standing by the wing facing the back of the car and bend ur hand around......hard to explain but when u do it i hope it becomes clear

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You need fingers like E.T to do it.
I've got long fingers and after a fair bit of swearing I managed it. My hand was bleeding in a few places by the time I'd done.

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
You have removed the height adjuster. Put it back and hope it still works!!

You need to remove the round covers

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
Remove the one closest to the bulb.
I'm sure it is the inner ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent. I got the inside one open, and can feel the tab/wing. It rotates 180degrees and I can see the bulb moving with it.
Do I now just pull it back? It doesn't come easy and I don't want to break anything as per the other threads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, got it, just needed to pull back on it wil a little force and out it comes.

Thanks a million guys for your excellent help, couldn't have done it without it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aaah , I've tried replacing mine tonight , but snapped the tab, I thought that it should move but it didnt!

Does anyone think it can still be removed without removing the whole unit to get more access?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

Snapped the flap when I was trying to replace mine. Long nosed pliers, lots of little waggling, patience and you should be able to sort it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I couldn't believe it when they told me the bulbs were nearly £6 each, all my other bulbs were £0.50 lol.

There a pig to change, however after I accidently broke off the plastic tab I found it much simpler. Used a bit of blue tac to hold them in place :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:After reading this thread and others i still cant get anywhere near the bulb, in fact, it looks like there are two fittings in there.
also, having taken out the middle black cube i'm now left with no side-light and no Beam adjuster.

How do i remove the entire headlight unit, ive undone the obvious bolt on the front but it feels like there is another fixing in towards the wing which, obviusly, is hidden.

Never thought one sidelight bulb could be so much trouble !!!! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Bryan,

I made the same mistake the first time I had to replace a sidelight bulb so you are not alone.

The way I fixed mine was to manually move the headlight to its highest position and then re-install the adjuster - the ball end of the adjuster should then re-engage into the cup on the headlight unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that,
but im still no closer to changing the bulb ! :lol:

Am thinking of not driving in the dark until the local garage opens again, swallow my pride and let them do the side-light :confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for that,
but im still no closer to changing the bulb ! :lol:

Am thinking of not driving in the dark until the local garage opens again, swallow my pride and let them do the side-light :confused:
Replacing side light bulbs on 156's is a pain in the rear end. I've done it a few times. It is difficult as there's hardly any room to manouvre your hand. Then once you've got the holder out and replaced the bulb getting it to snap back in the same way is a real pain.:mad:

You have my sympathy fella.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts