Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all the blood-splattered posts on this subject. Give yourselves a break, fellas.
Behold - the final solution - if you've got a spare tenner.:party:
You're welcome :wink_org:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Turning the lights on and off manually is the best way to extend bulb life (do not allow ignition switch to do that).

I'm using front LEDs right now which are good for about 12 months.
It only takes 2 minutes to change a bulb (even the n/s one which needs the plastic shield removed).
Small hands help.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Last time I did mine it was raining so I paid for the we fit option. The halfords guy couldn't even manage to twist the plastic cover off. A more experienced member of staff was called who couldn't budge it either. I suggested a filter wrench would make it easy but the tech guys were quite insistent that it couldn't be done. I got my money back and bought osram bulbs from amazon for half the price. The bulbs arrived 2 days later and took less time to fit than I spent standing at the till. Yes they are fiddly but no more difficult that other cars. They just don't seem to last long. Halfords really is the last resort.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Some automotive retailers in NZ offer fitment services. They now have a disclaimer that they can choose not to fit a part at their discretion. Clearly a 156 came in one day with the owner requesting the air filter, pollen filter, sidelight and battery to replaced by them and they thought 'Never Again'.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Turning the lights on and off manually is the best way to extend bulb life (do not allow ignition switch to do that).

I'm using front LEDs right now which are good for about 12 months.
It only takes 2 minutes to change a bulb (even the n/s one which needs the plastic shield removed).
Small hands help.
Something wrong if your LEDs only last 12 months. Every LED sidelight I've bought has outlasted the car! I agree though, turn your lights off, turn the engine off. Turn the engine on, turn the lights on. No voltage spikes, happier bulbs.

Changing sidelight bulbs, the real secret is just grab that little wing thingy and PULL. PULL. PULL. There's no twist to unlock, it's just PULL. Ok so there might be WIGGLE PULL WIGGLE PULL WIGGLE PULL... :D

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
I'm pretty sure somewhere on this forum are a couple of posts where that particular spares and accessory outlet sold the wrong bulb (they are 6w halogen with offset pins) and dropped the bulb into the headlamp ... :grumpy:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In defence of Halfords...

In fairness, Halfords Southend replaced both sidelights with patience and good humour - it was a bit of a struggle to get the covers off, then one of the bulbs had been fitted upside down (from new!), but he never gave up, and I consider it a tenner well spent.:thumbup:

·
Registered
30,395 Posts
... it was a bit of a struggle to get the covers off...
That for me was the most painful part of bulb changes on my 156.
A bit of appropriate lube on the rubber seal helped a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts