Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my 1999 156, (92,000km) is stuck in 3rd gear. Pump not going and red trans warning flashing on the tachometer.
Where do I start...?
Is there any way of manually selecting neutral, so I can at least tow the car...?

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Have you tried 12v direct to the pump to build some pressure?

It could be as simple as the pump relay failed.
It is one of the larger relays in front of the battery.
Swapping them may get you going.

L

·
0 Posts
Try Davids suggestion 1st. Also try giving the pump a sharp shock to encourage the brushes to make connection again, they are probablly worn out.

Alternatively you could try wedge the arm of the clutch release system in its forward [ towards the engine ] position.

There is NO easy override to get car into neutral. You can remove the battery & battery tray to gain access to the 12mm hex 'bung' on top of the actuator. Once removed you can put a 1/2" socket extension in there & down into the D shaped 'eye' of the selector which might allow you to select neutral. You may need to rock the car back/forward to take presssure off the gears.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions, will get back to you with results when I get the time to try them. Work, work and more work... Busy week ahead, and most of my weekend has been spent tracking down a suitable trailer and using it to pick car up from 120km away and bring it home...
Do Alfa's respond well to cursing, or should I be more polite...? :rant:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I reckon you dont have alfadiag or fiatecuscan.... with a sele you can't live without it
try Davids advice...

p.s. you are too far away , I would help you if I could (I live in Holland)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have checked pump by direct supply, it's working fine. Still couldn't get it out of 3rd. Disconnected battery for a while, reconnected, pump worked. I'm now able to select neutral, 1st, 2nd and reverse, but it won't select any other gears, there is now a small orange key, with the legend "code" displayed in the central cluster. Car won't start, but does turn over...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how do you diagnose a problem with changing symptoms...? At least I can tow it to the local agent and get a readout now...
I don't have a laptop computer, only desktop, so lack of alfadiag/fiatECUScan and appropriate cable secondary issues...

L

·
0 Posts
on the + side, you can now selecet neutral.

most likely you were pulling at the realys at the front of the battery, perhaps you changed them around too? by swoping you move the faulty [ pump ] relay with the good [ Ignition ] realy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The relays in front of the battery are labelled, (on the cover), Fan1, Fan, Fuel Pump, In j on the first row, Heater Diesel, Fan 2, and A/C Comp on the second. The second row are 30 amp relays, the first 50 amp.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
The relays in front of the battery are labelled, (on the cover), Fan1, Fan, Fuel Pump, In j on the first row, Heater Diesel, Fan 2, and A/C Comp on the second. The second row are 30 amp relays, the first 50 amp.
Do you have a DIESEL heater on your PETROL Selespeed...?
As above, the markings on the cover are a work of fantasy. There is a chance that one or two may actually match, but you can't rely on it.
All the bases can be moved around so even if some match at one point, they may not now.
The only ones that are easy to identify are the small 30A relays as they have colour coded bases.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what is which...? And how do I deal with immobilizer...? Shouldn't the key tell the immobilizer to go away...?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No David, I don't have a diesel heater on my petrol 156, just reporting verbatim what the cover says... I bought this car at auction, with no handbook, or service record, at a pretty cheap price. I've owned a 155 and liked pretty much everything about it, except for 1, the styling, ( I thought it would suit a Volvo grill...) and 2. the driving position. I didn't like having my arms stretched full length with my knees around my ears, nor did I appreciate being twisted to one side to connect with the pedals... But fun on a twisty road...? Hell yes...!
As for the 156 I have replaced the following in the first few weeks of my ownership; Cam cover gasket, thermostat, external drive belt, idler and tensioner, Timing belt and tensioner, balance shaft belt and tensioner, water pump, variator, and cam seals... In the forlorn and mistaken belief that preventative maintenance prevents strandings miles away from home without tools or clues... Ah well, live and learn... I should have known, I also own a Ducati...

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I repeat myself, but you need a readout of the ECU... guessing with a selespeed is like Russian roulete...believe me, I own a 1999 156 sele for 9 years....

D

·
0 Posts
If I read this correctly your code light is staying on but does your injection light come on at all when you turn the ignition on ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts