·
Registered
7,033 Posts
brushes in the sele pump ! they wear out in time

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers,i have had problems with relays in the past and they don't seem to have a tight fit.is the bushes major surgery?or is time to switch her off?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The brushes in the pump can be replaced for £15 DIY, you just need to get a set for a Passat wiper motor (I think), they're the same, a little soldering and the jobs a good'un.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Many of the DIY re-brushed pumps haven't worked properly for long.
About £200 for a brand new pump.
Your choice which way you go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
should the pump prime every time you open the drivers door?relays seem loose,so put some good old cable ties round and fingers crossed!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Re: 156 Selespeed

should the pump prime every time you open the drivers door?
Yes, but after a number of openings without starting the engine it stops priming.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still having trouble,pump seems to graft whenever.a tap on the relay cover usually wakes it up. been in touch with the dealer who says the pump was fine(well it is when it works)could it be a dodgy relay,connection or battery?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Could be a dodgy relay, but a dodgy pump sounds just as likely.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
if you tap the relay and pump starts it sure as hell is the relay me thinks !

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
if you tap the relay and pump starts it sure as hell is the relay me thinks !
Except that the same tap could also be getting direct to the pump

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is there different relays?out of the seven,one black has p on it and one red has s on it,written in tipex from the alfa dealer,they sure know how to do a professnial job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
found that actually tapping one of the black relays(i thnink its the fuel pump?)gets a result,so i've changed it with the fan relay,so can the fuel pump cause my problems?come to think of it there has been a few times when its took two turns of the key to start it up lately.i do usually have to run it on low(this bloody credit crunch!)so if so is some petrol cleaner going to help?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Don't trust the labelling on the cover, it doesn't usually correspond with what is under it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nee bother mate!according to the labelly i've apparently got a diesel heater(i hope not cos i've just put petrol in it!!!)i think the relay is a dealer part only,about 15 quid,so i'm just running around without the other black relay,don't know what thats for and hopefully don't find out!if its not broke don't fix it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts