Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with a 156 selespeed - basically stuck in neutral and won't engage any gear.

Pump is working, and when i try to select gear can hear 5 'clonks' - so actuator seems to be trying to work. Fluid level is fine. Have had occasional 'missed' gerachanges in 4th/5th but never any problems with selecting other gears

Did hit a very deep pothole at 70mph a while before gears went. Is there anything mecanical that could have come adrift?

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Barry Smith

·
Registered
405 Posts
Having a problem with a 156 selespeed - basically stuck in neutral and won't engage any gear.

Pump is working, and when i try to select gear can hear 5 'clonks' - so actuator seems to be trying to work. Fluid level is fine. Have had occasional 'missed' gerachanges in 4th/5th but never any problems with selecting other gears

Did hit a very deep pothole at 70mph a while before gears went. Is there anything mecanical that could have come adrift?

Barry Smith
did you do a search? im sure there are lots of threads relating to this issue.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went this morning and swapped over the 2 50A relays and gears are now selecting - howver I can hear the pump whirring on every change - how often should pump run when changing gear?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Went this morning and swapped over the 2 50A relays and gears are now selecting - howver I can hear the pump whirring on every change - how often should pump run when changing gear?
Every 3 or 4 changes, in my experience... Might be symptomatic of pressure loss, possibly a leaking accumulator.

Or the pressure sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Friends,

My car, 156 selespeed, was falling back in neutral from rear or first gear 15 days ago. Error light was on.

The Mechanic, found some error codes such as P0725, P1756 etc. A potentiometer has been replaced with a new one (marelli PF2C) and all error codes are gone. Plus, all electrical connections, sockets etc. cleaned. Pump pressure is 56 and seems working well. No error light on display.

But now car is worse than before because stuck in neutral, never engage other gears. BOSH diagnostic device found no error. All calibration is concluding well but still stuck in neutral position, never change others. I replaced battery new one, but no answer.

I tried to do everything adviced on the forum written before me for same problem but no positive result.

My mechanic is not experienced for Selespeed and there is no better option in my city. So i, myself search to fix the problem.

Can anyone please tell me what is missing for my Selespeed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
But now car is worse than before because stuck in neutral, never engage other gears.
Can anyone please tell me what is missing for my Selespeed?
Check the brake pedal switch.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
But shouldn't be an error code if any problem consists of the brake pedal switch?
No, the system will just think that you are not pressing the brake.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
do a diagnostic first.. guessing will bring you nowhere

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Finally we found the problem. We opened the gear box and found an unsettle gear axle inside. We settled it back again and now 1,2,3 gears works well.
1,2,3 gears working well but 5 and Rear is not working. 5 and Rear stuck in Neutral.
What may be reason of this please?
There is no any error code in diagnostic device.

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts

Barry Smith
I have had a similiar problem. First it was stuck in neutral. Tried battery pull out, removed and cleaned all the relays. Got it to take gear but once i switched off and restarted it was now stuck in first gear. After much searching on google. This is what solved my problem.
Turned out to be brake switch. Luckily i had a spare one. Just like pic below. With a torch you can easily clip off and pull out the old brake switch located under the brake pedal. Make a note which side it is facing before pulling out the old one. Fixed my problem in 1 minute. Car started and selected gears fine. Hope this helps. Good luck. Now i just need to find a buyer. lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I have had a similiar problem. First it was stuck in neutral. Tried battery pull out, removed and cleaned all the relays. Got it to take gear but once i switched off and restarted it was now stuck in first gear. After much searching on google. This is what solved my problem.
Turned out to be brake switch. Luckily i had a spare one. Just like pic below. With a torch you can easily clip off and pull out the old brake switch located under the brake pedal. Make a note which side it is facing before pulling out the old one. Fixed my problem in 1 minute. Car started and selected gears fine. Hope this helps. Good luck. Now i just need to find a buyer. lol.
The usual problem with brake switches is that the plunger wears and doesn't make proper contact with the pedal. It's ratcheted though, and can be pulled out a few notches. From memory it self-adjusts if you pull it too far (within reason).

Also from memory, the sele switch is different to the manual 'box ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts