Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this, so please bear with me. I bought a second hand 156 selespeed semi auto 2L on Monday, exchanged cash etc, drove not 3 miles towards home when the car lost power. The red gearbox indicator kept flashing, after an hour or so, it started again, went a few hundred metres then the same happened. Nice journery home in an AA cab. The car starts ok, but when driving (seemingly when it warms up), it will lose all power and cut out. I have read through the forums, is the crank shaft sensor the likely cause?

Also, the airbag light stays on and the plugs are connected beneath the seat. Can anyone give me a pointer with this. The car has not MOT currently, so I need to get these things sorted before submitting it.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
generally a breaking down crank sensor will not start the car or cut out when warm.

Are you saying it will start when warm and not run, or it does not start when hot?

The gearbox light is a worry, may be something as simple as low sele oil (reservoir on passenger wing) or something more serious.

Seen as you have several issues, it will be worth conneceting to an Examiner or Alfadiag to see what is going on.

HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for pointer. I have only driven it the once, as no MOT, so I only have my first experience to go by. The sele oil is full. The car drove fine for a few miles, then lost power with the gearbox light showing. The car would not start again until cold. The car drove on again for about another mile and the same thing happened. I have been able to start the car from cold and leave it idling for 15mins without it cutting out, but having no mot I haven't driven it again. I can take it to the MOT station, but wanted to sort the problem out prior to taking it. I also doubt that my local garage would have an Alfadiag, but I will ask them nonetheless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts