Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am new to the site after my alfa 156 selespeed gearbox started misbehaving on me :eek:
Its been fine up till about a 2 weeks ago when it started to lose 3rd gear, jumping from 2nd after reving like mad straight to 4th gear.:tut: It only did it every now and again mainly funny enough when it was slightly damp or raining!!. Its now given up completely, i drove the car this morning, all fine turned off the engine. When i went back to the car it restarted fine but i was unable to select any gears at all. Stuck in neutral with the gear light on the dash blinking!!. What could be the problem and what sort of cost!!! help?? lol

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
welcome,

could be simple and cheap, simple and expensive or complex expensive, however we need to know more

does the pump run when the drivers door is opened?

is the sele oil reservoir filled to the correct level?

any sign of oil leaks in the system?

with the ignition on, but the engine off, will it select all gears up yo 5 and back again, or does it get stuck at or miss out third?

sorry its aload of questions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya,
Thanks for getting back to me, okay yesterday I had engine running and car was stuck in neural and would not select any gear at all, light on dash was flashing. The car was left a few hours and when it restarted it selected gears fine no problem at all. Drove okay today but once warm starts to completely skip third gear not all the time but more often than not. Checked sele oil level and that is fine. Pump runs fine. Gear box oil is being changed today. Fingers crossed that may help.!!!!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
sound slike it may be some rogue sensor, its has maybe lost track of what gear it is in.

Probably best to hook it up to a diagnostic as a fault code will be stored, often costs £30 or so at a indie, better than changing sensors randomly.

HTH

·
Registered
159 SW 1.75TBi
110 Posts
Hello there,
I have been a proud owner of an 156 selespeed for almost 3 years now. I have had the usual gearbox hickups (skipping gears and going on neutral whilst it should be on 4th or 5th) but it seemed that it was coping so far...Until 2 days ago...
Usually when the car was left in gear it wouldn't start...so every time I made sure that it was on neutral...Iitially I started the car but no gear selection was possible...no response whatsoever. I checked the sele fluid level and it seemed slightly low...I added a very small amount and tried again. After 10min fiddling with the gear stick and trying to put the car into reverse a severe metal grinding loud noise was heard.
The dash indicator moved to "R" but of course the gear did not engage at all. The gearbox light came on and after that it has been impossible to put it into neutral or anything else...I tried the battery thing but still same thing...and because it is stuck on "R", the car does not even start (maybe because the gear is not isolated completely).

Does anyone have any idea of what I should be looking at in terms of cost ?? Does this mean that the whole gearbox needs to be replaced ??

Is it worth spending moeny fixing a gearbox that could potentially go wrong at any time or should I look into the possibility of moving on ?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
59 Posts
Simple things first(and cheapest!!)
get some contact cleaner , and possible an old toothbrush, and get ready to CLEAN!!
take off battery and remove tray to allow access(and light) to the selespeed component area. clean all relays contacts and connectors. check one by one, even pull them off and spray then replace.
they are in such a place that if oil or dirt collects around them, they can then retain moisture and cause incorrect data to be sent to ecu.

If you do this BEFORE going to a diag, you may save yourself a wedge!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had a similar problem with my 147 selespeed about 2 months after i bought it. the gearbox speed sensor went and thecar would not allow it to go out of neutral because it wasnt getting a reading from the sensor, i read somewhere that the car makes an adjustment to the clutch dependant on the rev level? the sensor and labour cost me around £250 to replace which is much cheaper than the £1000 + labour i would have cost me if the whole gearbox needs replacing. the symptoms i have were that when i pushed the gear stick up to go into first nothing would happen. if i held it up then after about 10 seconds it would say "selespeed system failure" but that would disappear as soon as the gear stick was released

hope that helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you hold the gear stick in position for over 10 seconds it will automatically say 'Selespeed Failure' in the old style it just beeps at you.

G

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday. My clutch was replaced 4 months ago and ever since then gear selection hasn't been as smooth as it used to be. When the engine was cold everything was fine, but after driving about 5 miles it would select "N" on its own and if I was lucky to get "R" it would make a really loud CLUNK and the whole car would shake!!!. I managed to get to my local independent Alfa garage and he said the problems were caused by the clutch "bedding in"! He adjusted something that was hidden under a rubber gator on the gearbox with a 19mm and a smaller spanner and everything is fine now. Hope this helps

·
Registered
47 Posts
ALFADIAG!!! This will be the best purchase you will ever buy! It is £53 and £10 for a cable then you will find out exactly what is going off. I think as it is playing up when warm you may find it needs a calibration if no fault codes are showing. Buy it - Try it and you will see. Dont take it to a garage as you can do it yourself with this software.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday. My clutch was replaced 4 months ago and ever since then gear selection hasn't been as smooth as it used to be. When the engine was cold everything was fine, but after driving about 5 miles it would select "N" on its own and if I was lucky to get "R" it would make a really loud CLUNK and the whole car would shake!!!. I managed to get to my local independent Alfa garage and he said the problems were caused by the clutch "bedding in"! He adjusted something that was hidden under a rubber gator on the gearbox with a 19mm and a smaller spanner and everything is fine now. Hope this helps
That would be the clutch acuator position, something you could do yourself if you had Alfadiag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alfa 156 Selespeed 2nd gear problem

Hi, i hope that someone can help. I have a 1999 Alfa 156 Selespeed. The car makes a 'cruch' noise whenever I go through or into 2nd gear. This problem does not appear when the car is cold. I can therefore drive it for about 10 mins without any problems changing gears.

I am guessing that is is something to do with the oil thinning when warm??

I have had the clutch replaced with no joy. I am hoping that i dont have to replace the whole actuator??

Thanks
Remy

·
Registered
394 Posts
Blackmin your problem could be to worn first motion shaft bearing wearing in the casing, causing movement. It is probable as when the gearbox oil is cold it is much thicker taking up some of the "play". The only way to find out is to take gearbox out. As SMAKY has said it won't be the actuator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed Skipping Gears

Hey Guys,

This is my first post as I had first problem with my Girl, its skipping 2nd gear, jumps 1st to 3rd and then back to 2nd. sometimes it just stopped after traffic lights. I consulted 2 of Alfa mechanic here, 1 said need to do clutch adjustment and 2 said $130/hours and leave car with us for 2 days. :beer::beer:

there is no codes in computer, fluid levels are OK, accumulator pressure is 48+-.
Need help to save my Girl and my Pocket as well. :devious:

Thank You
Regards
Pipli

·
Registered
2 Posts
ALFADIAG!!! This will be the best purchase you will ever buy! It is £53 and £10 for a cable then you will find out exactly what is going off. I think as it is playing up when warm you may find it needs a calibration if no fault codes are showing. Buy it - Try it and you will see. Dont take it to a garage as you can do it yourself with this software.
Hi matt bowland,

May I know where can I find that Alfadiag and cable? I'm in South Australia.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts