Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am a proud owner of an Alfa 156 Selespeed ('99 2.0 TS) and it is a thirsty beast. I noticed that the fuel consumption was very high, so lately i was always filling up the tank so i can measure the consumption.
The engine was serviced last year (about 3000 miles ago), all the belts has been changed. I changed the stat and the temp indicator also.
And the fuel consumption is:
- Town: 16-17 MPG - average speed 30-35 MPH
- Motorway: 25-26 MPG - average speed 68-74 MPH

I'm never revving it above 3-3,5 k and I do not have a heavy foot.
The outside temp is between -2 an +6 °c.

The car starts immediately in the morning, I"m letting it to idle for a few minutes. There are no problems with the idle speed, however when the outside temp is below 2°c and the engine is cold, it feels like it has no power after setting of for a minute or so, even after it has been idling for a few minutes.

Any suggestions where to start finding the problem?

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
When the cambelt was changed, were the correct engine specific cam-lock tools used?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Sounds like one tooth wrong on the timing belt, resulting in late ignition...just a thought

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, i bought the correct tools for 2.0 TS and everything was done by the book, first piston on top end, cams locked, belts changed, positions checked, the camshaft turned twice, everything double checked...

I tried several times how it goes, when the engine is at working temp and it goes like a hell :) I assume if the timing belt would be at wrong position, it would not go like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it varies a bit (between 85 and 95°c). As I mentioned the thermostat and the temperature indicator are brand new, the manufacturer is the same as it was for previous (factory-installed).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well it varies a bit (between 85 and 95°c). As I mentioned the thermostat and the temperature indicator are brand new, the manufacturer is the same as it was for previous (factory-installed).
Only reason I mentioned it was because I think some people have had faulty new stats in the past.

But now that you say it, I did read the temp should sit bang on 90c all the time. Both my cars have had faulty stats & when changed they didn't move from 90c. I'm guessing the fluctuation from 85-95 wouldn't effect consumption tho.

When I was searching for symptoms for bad consumption, one of the things was to check the various sensors around the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine seems to get around 25MPG on a run as well, although I tend to sit at 85ish on the motorway.

Actually thinking of changing mine for something more economical.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was no fault code for any sensor, however if I do not find the reason for this high consumption, probably will change all the spark plugs, lambda sensor and airflow sensor as well. The reading for the lambda was 1 +-.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With mine it was the Lambda Sensor and the thermostat. I changed them and my car improved from 20mpg to 26mpg mixed driving.

Have you checked the pipe from the MAF to Throttle body for splits?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a weeks of struggling I did not manage to improve the consumption.
I have cleaned the MAF sensor, adjusted the gaps on the spark plugs etc.
There are no detected fault codes, but the consumption is 17 MPG and about a third of it was on open road.
At this point I am thinking to sell the 156 and to get a Cordoba or something else...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did that yesterday, but everything is ok wit the exhaust system. I have checked the camshaft positions as well. I had to adjust the exhaust camshaft a little bit, but nothing serious (about 1-2 degrees). The newest issue is that when a press the acceleration pedal over 60% the engine feels like it has no power and the car stops to accelerate it struggles only, there are no registered fault codes.
And yea, the gearbox actuator is dying, i need to take the laptop with me when I'm driving because sometimes i don not have the 3. gear, sometimes the 2. or 4. gear indicator is just flashing and the clutch is separated etc. Also not even one registered fault code...
So I can not even sell the damn thing -.-

·
Registered
450 Posts
The newest issue is that when a press the acceleration pedal over 60% the engine feels like it has no power and the car stops to accelerate it struggles only, there are no registered fault codes.
Disconnect the MAF and see if it improves.

And yea, the gearbox actuator is dying, i need to take the laptop with me when I'm driving because sometimes i don not have the 3. gear, sometimes the 2. or 4. gear indicator is just flashing and the clutch is separated etc. Also not even one registered fault code...
So I can not even sell the damn thing -.-
Check is the hydraulic pressure, should be between 45-55bar and hold enough pressure for 2-3 gear changes between pump cycles. Do a calibration and push-rod adjustment if you haven't done it already.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts