Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Alfa 156 owner (53 plate) - love the car to bits but wish the electrics would stop playing up! Water washer won't work and MOT due so likely to get ripped off unless anyone has got any ideas (for a very non technical girl!). Also windows stop and start working at their leisure!! :confused:

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Hello Katy.....welcome to AO....:) ...sorry to hear of your problems but there are plenty of knowledgeable peolpe on here that will be able to help you out...:)

M

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO Katy:) Sorry to hear about the problems your having

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hi, can you hear the pump when you try the wash? if not then it's ether the fuse (down by you right knee) or the pump (£). If you can hear the pump ether theres no water in the bottle (you did say very non technical) or the pipes are blocked.

Good luck with your MOT, Mines in today(fingers crossed)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Way to check it out:
With engine off, turn key to ignition on- do not start engine, but merely turn key till dashboard lights come on.
Exit car and open bonnet.
Return to activate screenwash.
Can you hear the pump activate?

If not, it is an electrical fault. Do the wipers come on, if so it is not the fuse or switch, but may be the pump or relay.

If yes, you have a blockage or a leak.
I'd go for a blockage. It could be the jets, but more likely it will be the filter which is part of the pump sealing grommet on the side of the reservoir. To access this you need to partly remove the wheelarch plastic liner and remove the pump. The reservoir will need flushed, refilled and flushed and repeated until the old gunk is oiut of the system. Sometimes the reservoir has to be removed to be thorough. What happens is that old liquid can become mouldy inside the reservoir and this blocks the filter. Best way to prevent this is to use the screenwash often, or, if you don't use it that often, don't fill it right up, so it empties regularly, and you don't have the alge forming. Use a good quality screenwash, and avoid cheap ones. Halfords is my suggested minimum standard screenwash and better than Car Plan etc.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'll hopefully be out on the bike a bit this weekend. I'll look out for further posts, or PM me for advice if you wish.:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Another possible blockage is the non-return valve in the 'Y' piece where the pipe from the windscreen washer pump splits into two pipes to go to each of the nozzles. This is easy to prise apart to clean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts