Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys need a bit of help. Been a while since i been on and everytime i have previously one of you learned people out there came to the rescue-hopefully can be same again.

My 2003 Sportsawagen 1.6 ts was misbehaving recently engine management light on and off now and again. i felt sligt drop in power but you had to really look out for it. Was on a long drive and same thing happened. I wasn't in a position to get anything done but got a guy to stick the computer on it. said misfire of 1 and 3. Said it would be ok to get home(we were at the in laws few hundred miles away).
So it did. Light went away got home all ok so far. Few days later as i was heading to work car was spluttering and dying then perking up again. and then it died. totally. like the battery went, just cut out in middle of the road. had to get a tow home.
So my question(s) is-(im new to this and a bit crap really) does this sound like misfire/coil pack issue or something more sinister.
I basically want to know if my alfa experience has come to and end-cos i cant really afford to fix it if its going to be too bad. And if it is the coil pack what kind of price am i looking at and is this a job someone -not me- fairly competent can do at home

Ok lot of questions there but i'm kinda desperate.

Thanks and really appreciate all teh help and advice you guys give.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its quite difficult to diagnose a misfire due to several sensors can be the ones that are effecting it.
Running to Lean from failing Lamda sensors can cause issues as well as the Normal MAF issues that appear on the site quite alot.

You could try disconnecting to MAF to see if it runs any better. However its a bit of a shot in the dark on myside.

If you do need a coil pack I've got a spare one from my old 1.6 147 I can sell you on the cheap. As I no longer need it. Not sure how much they go for but I'd do it cheaply as its just in the garage doing nothing. I know new they are pricey. But alot of the time its not the coils that are the issue when you get a miss fire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scotty.
Thanks man. im a bit of a numpty when it comes to all this to be honest. I was just told it might be the coil pack. i guess i'll have to get it looked at but funds are low at minute(when arent they) but if indeed it turns out to be that i'd gladly take you up on teh offer of seeling me that one. that would be great. as cheaply as possible at teh minute to get on the road again. Im just clutching at straws qith the coil pack but im stuk as i really dont know what it may be.
But as i say offer is very generous and i'll defo get back to you if indeed this is the case
much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Some of the more knowledgable members on here might be able to give advice.

But if the coils on the other cylinders are supposedly working correctly you can swap them over and see if you get the errors on the other cylinders. If you do get the errors then yes it can be the coil pack. If the same error still appears on cylinders 1 + 3 with the coils swapped round then its probably a sensor further down the line.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im gonna have to get someone to look at it cos i really don't understand. was wanting to know if it was something i could do but from what you just said it appears not lol.
i will get back to you one way or the other about the coil pack.
and thanks again.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Do you have a code reader at all?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
If the engine cut out completely, which it appears to have done, its unlikely to have been a coil pack - they wouldn't all fail at once.....Could be crank sensor, maybe, although usually they start to fail when warm, gradually getting worse.

You're being coy about your location, firstimer, but if you give us a clue its likely that someone on here will be nearby with the ability to read the codes, and maybe do some diagnosis at mate's rates....like a brew and a biccie!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no no, not coy at all. im in northern ireland about 30 miles from belfast. i know there arent as many guys around this neck of the woods so its a bit mor difficult.
scotty no dont have a reader. suppose i could invest in one.

yeah it died. power went. let it sit tried it and it started ok but then power left immediately. tired again same thing started but thn died again. then nothing wouldnt start or anything. was like the battery ahd gone or soemnthing
stuck-yip thats me.
just wondering is this the end of my alfa adventure.
booo

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I would imagine one of the sensors has packed up rather than coil.
Really need to get the code read to find out exactly what the error is before anyone can really help diagnose the issue.

Hopefully its just a sensor thats failed and stopping the car from running.

I'm sure if you pop over to the regional forums you might get someone help you that does have a code reader.
Failing that most garages can read codes and therefore be able to tell you for a small fee.

Come back here with the error and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i'll try that or invest in a reader. any idea how much off the top off ur head. this my first alfa and i love it but i dont like the constant worry of whats next. wife is threatening divorce if i dont scrap it and get a mondeo or summat crap like that lol. love driving the car but just seems to be one thing after another. i'd love someone to take a good look at it, fix whatever is wrong with it, but dont want to pay more than the car is worth. if i can get it done for a few hundred then happy days. if not then its the long road for the 156 :-(. damn. she'll have her way yet.lol

or if anyone can point me in the direction of which code reader to get that be even better. hand held code reader or interface for laptop-which would be best do you guys think. if someone knows which one to get i'll do that. may pay its way in the long run.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Rarebear on the forum does the cables for a laptop at a competative price. Usually cheaper than Ebay and least you get decent support. Search for his user name on here.

Shouldnt cost more than £50 for a full set. I think all you need though if you have a laptop to actually read the codes is an ELM327 cable. I've got a full set for the Alfa/ Fiat / Lancia group and a full copy of the Fiatmultiscan program that are useful to have. Espcially if you stick with the brands above.

I am sure you will get it shorted cheaply and cost effectively. But with modern injection engine managment systems without the code readers everything is a bit pot luck.

Gone are the days or delicious carbs!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im in portaferry so good wee bit away. im going to get a code reader interface thing. anyone suggest which one to get? so many and i dont want to get a lemon. thanks for your help man. lisburn might be a bit too far away especially with a car thats not working. i'll check that link and see if anyone closer. thanks again

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is there a specific set i should get. i have a laptop etc so just need the lead and the software? is this correct. sorry if im melting ur head man.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i'll try that or invest in a reader. any idea how much off the top off ur head.
or if anyone can point me in the direction of which code reader to get that be even better. hand held code reader or interface for laptop-which would be best do you guys think. if someone knows which one to get i'll do that. may pay its way in the long run.
I've just had one of these delivered: Maxiscan MS309 Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader CAN OBD2 EOBD OBDII MS309, More Functions than MS300, the Best price ever!: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I haven't tried it yet but it's cheap and gets good reviews.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
yeah it died. power went. let it sit tried it and it started ok but then power left immediately. tired again same thing started but thn died again. then nothing wouldnt start or anything. was like the battery ahd gone or soemnthing
When you say "nothing, wouldn't start or anything" what exactly do you mean? Would the engine spin over on the starter, but not start, or would it not spin over? Reason I ask is if it wasn't spinning over, then its pointing at maybe a bad earth connection, or even a battery terminal fault......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts