Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 sportwagon 1.6 petrol 2002 is refusing to start. It has had intermitent VDC failure but has now decided not to restart. I have cleaned the earth lead on the inlet manifold, changed the crank sensor, changed the injector relays and checked for loose wires etc.

Any advice would be appreciated, I reallt need the car going asap. I have a code reader but does not display any faults.

Many thanks in advance....:cry:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you got fiatECUscan?

If you have actuate those new relays especially the fuel pump relay.

What I did to find out what was going on with mine was to monitor the fuel pressue, rpm and injection time with fiatECUscan whilst trying to start it. I discovered my fuel pressure was only 5.5bar hence I looked into the fuel pump wiring and found my issue, 'in j' relay.

What I am trying to say is you have to try and diagnose the problem with the tools available to you.

Can you here the fuel pump?
Does your code light come on then go off after one second?

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is probably your problem then. I believe there is a white connector in the steering column so have a look at that. There is also a blue box behind the drivers side dash, if you can reach it give the connection to it a clean or maybe even a wiggle with the battery disconected.
I am sure there are others on here who have had immobiliser problems, personally I havn't but I do know the location of some of the components of that system.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As for the relays, if you can make them click the signal circuit is ok but if you can't here the actuator ie fan or pump going then there is a problem with the power circuit or actuator. Use a voltmeter to measure the resistance of power circuit at the relays to check for open loops (breaks in the circuit) or measure the voltage at the actuator to figure out if it is the wiring or the actuator.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The two pins in line with the long sides of the relays are the power circuit pins, if you break open one of the old relays this becomes clear.

But yes start with your code problem first; make sure all error codes have been cleared also as some won't allow the car to start, I believe vdc is one of them.

I think I got the vdc code to come up by removing the 'in j' relay, so it may be somethimg to do with your 'in j' signal circuit if it is not code related.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After replacing the crank sensor, brake light switch, checking immobilisor connections and checking every wire I could see I finally gave up and rang Mr AA. His computer wouldn't read the car so went back to basics and started checking. It turned out to be the earth lead connected to the main ECU, tiny little wire that was loose, as soon as he tightened it the bloody thing started and he could read the computer with no faults showing. Felt such a fool as I was checking there in the first place. Good job I love Alfa's!!! Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys , i have the same problem and im pretty sure that its the immo, anyone knows where to find parts, there was a member that was selling the immo-antenna-key for about 100. Any info PLEASE HELP. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ALFAMADMARK i just noticed what u wrote, do you have any pics to see which wire to check that also?Maybe i have the same prob. Many thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a few questions that might help someone on this forum figure out what your problem is

1) Firstly do you have a code reader? If not get one.
2) Does the engine crank?
3) What is the condition of your battery?
4) Does the code light turn off after one second or does it stay on?
5) Can you here the fuel pump?
6) Have you checked the ground wires at the battery and near the air intake?
7) What were the conditions at the time of the car not starting?
8) Have you inspected any of the connectors mentioned earlier in this post?
9) Have you pushed the inertia switch under the passangers seat? this is a long shot but should be checked.

If you have FiatECUScan monitor the rpm, fuel pressure, injection time to see if anyone of those is reading zero whilst starting the car.

One quick and easy relay check would be to swap the 'in j' and 'fuel pump' relay with the 'air con' and 'fan 1' relay. This check costs nothing and takes all of two minutes but could save you 100 if it turns out to be the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car cranks but wont start, the key/immo light is on and i cannot communicate with the ecu. as soon as the light goes off i can start the car and communicate . it seems that the immo doesnt read the key. cannot start it manually with the pedal accel. all i did is i took the head off to replace the valves. i checked connectors , relays that might have been corroded ,earthed the ecu, nothing . once in a while fires up. all is up to the key light to go off. i have equipment to enter the 5digit code for the immo and reprog which i did about 3000 times but...
I hope this info were helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just because the relays look ok and click doesn't mean they are working. When I broke open one of my malfunctioning relays and the switch contacts were burnt which prevented current from flowing. I amgine most intermittent problems are to do with connectors losing contact.

The only thing I know about the imobiliser is that there is a hard to reach blue box behind the dash and a connector in the steering column; sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts