Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Put 2 wheelbolts back in then use a pry bar against them and the road to lock the wheel in place. Then you can use as much force as you can.
Ha, I did that first! Now I have a bent pry-bar, and a bent wheel bolt. I was jumping on a 3/4" breaker bar, so around 700NM I estimate.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
With a long bar, most of the sharp force that breaks the join is taken up by the suspension....

Honestly with an impact gun, I don’t even bother to unstake them - just whizz them off.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
It's a beast. The only problem with the 18v batteries is with the 2ah ones that are a bit weak. The others are fine.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
If you don't have an impact driver, shove a screwdriver down in the cooling vanes of the brake disc so it rests against the caliper then get your breaker bar and find a long length of pipe or scaffold pole or similar so your breaker is 1.5m long or so and lean on it. Easy.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's a beast. The only problem with the 18v batteries is with the 2ah ones that are a bit weak. The others are fine.
When you say weak do you mean the torque output is affected? All my batteries are this 2Ah type. I thought they would just last less time? Now I'm thinking I should get a higher capacity battery.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you don't have an impact driver, shove a screwdriver down in the cooling vanes of the brake disc so it rests against the caliper then get your breaker bar and find a long length of pipe or scaffold pole or similar so your breaker is 1.5m long or so and lean on it. Easy.
I started to do that , but the caliper frame started to flex alarmingly, and of course the screwdriver bent.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I did that once too, good to see i'm not alone. I had quite a meaty screwdriver when I did that and a breaker bar the length indicated too and it came undone OK. I might have used some heat on it as well, I can't remember.

When you say weak do you mean the torque output is affected? All my batteries are this 2Ah type. I thought they would just last less time? Now I'm thinking I should get a higher capacity battery.
I think it reflects the run time of tools. However, I would think a battery with a higher Ah rating would be able to continue with the peak power for longer over a lower Ah battery, as well as lasting longer in general too. Generally though modern batteries tend to just quit and don't give much warning at all so what I said may not be the case.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Done lots like that and never had an issue, even with the tight one's that need 2000Nm to crack them. Not sure how you managed that.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The 2 Ah batteries cut out very fast, and do generate less torque. It’s not just on this impact gun - they do it on an SDS drill when I’m using a 2 foot long bit.

If you want it at its best, get a 54v FlexVolt battery - 6Ah is fine. But a big 18v battery will do the job.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is the onlt one I can get today:

I may try my 2Ah batteries first, and if they are no good, I ccan always pop back to the shop. The flexVolt batteries are quite expensive, and on 3 day lead time.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Try your 2s. It may be fine. But if the 2s aren't, I wouldn't drop more money on a 3..... go bigger.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Try your 2s. It may be fine. But if the 2s aren't, I wouldn't drop more money on a 3..... go bigger.
I just checked they are not even 2, they are 1.5Ah!. I needed four to drill a 5" hole through the wall of my house. I do not expect to do anything like that again though.
PS accidentally bought a 4Ah .

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, I didn't need the big battery after all. I did have to jam a screwdriver into the brake disk, and put the deWalt on max for about 20 seconds, but I used it to undo both the hub nuts and all the wheel nuts, and there seemed plenty of go left in my 3 year old 1.5Ah battery. Screwfix let me down in the end, so I ended up buying the impact gun from Toolstation, for a little bit more money. I tried a 10mm hex impact socket on the 156 suspension pinch bolt, and it just rounded the inside of the cap head pretty quickly, which I sort of expected. I already ordered new ones a few days ago.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was just quickly jotting down the torque values for the front suspension bits, when I came the hub-nut. It says to torque is close to 71Nm, then turn it a further 62 degress checking the torque stays between 2000 and 3600Nm ! So basically as tight as you can possibly make it? This seems way too much, is this a mistake?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
There’s no point in overthinking this stuff. We only have 2 settings:

FT - when you really put your pack into tightening something with a conventional socket wrench. Or the DeWalt on 3 for a few seconds.

VFT - as above, but with a scaff pole. Or the DeWalt on 3 for about 10 seconds,

21 - 38 of 38 Posts