Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car out for a long drive, returned home and left it running on the drive. The fan doesn't kick in whatsoever but the temperature reading will hover around 50 degrees.

If the fan isn't kicking in, how is the water being cooled and why won't the temp go up to normal or could I have a faulty reader?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesel, I did think of the thermostat but then wondered why the fan isn't kicking in. How is the water being cooled if the fan doesn't kick in?

·
Registered
565 Posts
How is the water being cooled if the fan doesn't kick in?
The water is not getting hot enough for the fans to kick in.......

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh thanks for that link, so I can guess I add +10 degrees onto the reading, which would potentially mean I am running at 70 degrees when it tells me 60?

The car interior warms up fast from the heater so I know it's warm somewhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you.

So even running at 70 seems a little cool after reading that link.

Out of interest to cure my paranoia, if the water pump wasn't working and the water wasn't being pumped around, would that register a low temp?

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Out of interest to cure my paranoia, if the water pump wasn't working and the water wasn't being pumped around, would that register a low temp?
It may do, but your heater would also be cold.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i think diesels dont run as hot as petrol engines.

a knackerd water pump cause's eratict temp reading, heater blowing hot/cold and the un-mistakeable smell of an overheating engine, with possible HGF............

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The car interior warms up within 10 minutes of the car being idle. I am guessing I'm just getting a faulty reading. I have checked the oil to see if it looks burned but that is clear as the day we put it in, so am guessing the engine isn't over heating.

Just can't work out why the fans aren't kicking in when the car has been running for ages and the gauge shows 50 ish. Strange.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Camb belt is ok for another 4 years, got all the receipts for that, coolant is a nice colour, pink I think or yellow can't remember.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
The car interior warms up within 10 minutes of the car being idle. ...

Just can't work out why the fans aren't kicking in when the car has been running for ages and the gauge shows 50 ish. Strange.
Several reasons:
The fan won't run until over 90degC.
Diesels produce less waste heat than Petrols.
In the cold weather, the rad will still be loosing heat without the need for the fan.
50degC is still enough to warm the interior.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Its not strange, its simple...

if the thermostat has failed "open", it will be letting the coolant circulate around the system and into the radiator all the time. This means the coolant will never reach the temp to activate the radiator fans....

When you first run the engine, the thermostat is closed, only allowing the coolant to flow around the block and the head, when the coolant reaches a certain temp, the thermostat will start to open allowing some coolant past into the radiator, as cooler coolant comes into the engine block/head, the termostat will close again until the cooler coolant gets up to tempurature, then it will open a little again, and so on until all the coolant in the system reaches operating temp. The thermostat will open and close many many times to regulate the temp of the coolant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, so basically I'm worrying over nothing?

Edit: Sorry Kam, I posted before I saw yours. So new thermostat then.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks, so basically I'm worrying over nothing?
i would not say nothing, as i have just changed my thermostat for the exact same reason, engine temp not getting above the 70 mark on the gauge.....

but you are looking for a problem that is not there, its just that your thermostat has failed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts