Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Its an alfa romeo 156 2.0 TS 2000
the car drives well for few minutes and then it stops as soon as you slow down, but later on when you restart,and changes the gear, car stalls and stops immediately, and found gear fault light flashing, got it checked, was advised requires a RPM sensor, so just wanted to know if it is correct as the mechanics didn't seems to have much knowledge about italian cars..

and is there any DIY method to give a try... ?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Usual symptoms of a failing rpm sensor are that it'll start ok, then cut out when the engine gets warm, and it won't restart until it's cooled down again.

I take it you have a selespeed?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes,, you are right... it is selespeed... and this is exactly what is happening... the car would again run fine if i leave it idle for 2 hrs..

Do you know what exactly is the problem and how i can rectify it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Changing the crank sensor is the way forward. It's about £25, and not too bad to do.

It's down at the bottom of the engine block, under the starter motor. One bolt holds it in. When the old one is removed, make sure the o-ring comes out with it, or the new one will be too far from the wheel inside to get a reading.

It's the brown connector that you should be able to see at the back of the engine when the cover is removed.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh no...not again...

i have changed the RPM SENSOR, but after the temperature reaches to 90, the error comes up again.
And then it wont let me start the car for at least an hour. What should i do now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts