Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry::confused::cry:

Driving home from work, just after going over a stupid "traffic calming" bump I noticed a slight smell of rubber and a sound indicating something wrong with the wheel area of my 156. I pulled over and had a very quick look as I was nearly home and couldn't see anything so decided to drive the extra 1/2 mile home. Having looked behind the wheel there appears to be acoming together of spring and rubber... There is a garage round the corner but I also have home cover should it be best not to run it at all. Anyone any thoughts or comments on if there is likely to be anything that's a deeper issue/anything else I'll need to be looking at if it's general wear? It's an 04 with c80k I think (guessing). If it might need more attention I'll need to see if I can get an RAC flatloader to take it to Gus if he can fit it in!

Attached pics are just the few I took in a hurry.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Your spring platform has collapsed that is why it's hitting the tyre, don't drive it at all.
Its going to need a new strut, and a tyre by the looks of it.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Sounds correct - your local garage should be able to do the job - its not particularly complicated, but is a bit of work, and you'll probably need to replace the anti-rollbar drop-link as they are a PITA to undo if they are the originals. Of course theoretically you should change both rear shock absorbers.....but you could fit a used shock and spring.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:cry: I don't know what's worse... knowing it needs new parts or the tyre being just a month old... or both! I guess I know what I'm doing first thing in the morning! Thanks for the heads up.

Any idea on what kinda hit I should be expecting on something like that? (just ball park as I realise it's not easy to tell from a few pics if there's other damage)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Standard rear shock around £100ea, as mentioned they should really be changed in pairs. Then whatever else needs to be replaced after getting the old one(s) off.

ARB drop links will likely need replacing about £15ea, Hopefully the shock upper and lower mounting nuts and bolts will be ok, if they've never been off they may well need replacing they'll be about £40 if they all need replacing.

Let's assume the spring and tyre are OK.

So you're looking at getting on for £300 in parts plus whatever they change for the work.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it booked in tomorrow morning at the local garage so will see what they say when they actually get to see the car. I will have to drive it round but slowly and it's a total of a few hundred yards so if it fails I'll call the RAC out with a flat-bed.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote is around 200-250 parts and labour but was calling from work and was a quick check - they're calling back tomorrow to confirm and are changing the fronts ready for it's MOT and price matching the quote I had for the rears a month ago from elsewhere that was about £5/tyre cheaper. Will report back when done/agreed.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, garage mentioned a bolt that's seized and through a few parts (it's noisy here at work so didn't catch details) and that they may be able to remove it but if not/if it causes issue with the parts it's through then the worst case scenario is going to be 500... They said they contacted Alfa directly but think one of the quotes they got is for the wrong part (2 bolts v 4 bolts...)

Here's hoping it's not as bad as feared...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts