Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd Question...but....

Are there speakers on/under the parcel shelf behind the headrests in a 156 saloon?

Looks like there might be, if not is it possible to fit speakers there, and has anyone done it?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have speakers on my parcel shelf. They're pioneers from what I remember and they look like they belong there. I haven't got my car at the house atm so I won't be able to take pics of it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
mine aint got any, think it was room for the BOSE upgrade stuff:confused:
good place to put extras though:D

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
my factory rears in my '99 TS - non-Bose - were in the doors. only dummy-looking grill markings (no actual grills).

:)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The early 156 had removable grills in the rear shelf, the later model just had dummy grills as Shiny has mentioned.

But there are no speakers on any of them and only in the rear doors - in my first 156 ('99 Selespeed) I fitted 6x9" speakers under the grills (I had them spare so wanted to make use of them) - the job is not easy though

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i can imagine it wasnt, very handy space though, for little subs if you dont want a big box filling the boot:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The early 156 had removable grills in the rear shelf, the later model just had dummy grills as Shiny has mentioned.

But there are no speakers on any of them and only in the rear doors - in my first 156 ('99 Selespeed) I fitted 6x9" speakers under the grills (I had them spare so wanted to make use of them) - the job is not easy though
Why would you describe the fitting as not easy, and how do you get the grills off?

I have got loads of spare speakers including a couple of JBL GTO 6*9's and i nice little sony xplod 2*50W amp to run them.

What sort of wiring (if any) is there pre-installed? I am planning on running a power cable for the amp so running signal cables wont be an issue........

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Its a long time since I did them.........10 years back :eek:

If I remember correctly the grills have small plastic pegs which pass through the rear shelf and are held from underneath by metal clips. I fitted the speakers underneath the rear shelf and then bolted through the rear shelf with some additional metal stiffening plate. I seem to remember that I cut the plastic pegs off the rear grills and just used them as covers but not clipped down. I'm sure there was more to it than that but cant remember :rolleyes:

I had a rear amp with the speaker wiring coming from the headunit so I didnt use the standard speaker wiring. I cant remember if there is wiring there for the shelf speakers but if there is it will be tucked up inside with the rest of the wiring

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Pascs,

If the weather is OK next weekend im going to fit the shelf with speakers and amp, i'm also swapping all the standard speakers with FLI mids in the front doors and 3 way pioneers in the rear doors, I also have a nokia bluetooth kit to throw in too, so should be a fun day of soldering and wiring. Im tempted to build a custom Sub enclosure for the boot on one side with a JBL 8" sub, amp and port that i have spare, has anyone done this, are there any good fastening points under the carpets?

Im thinking left hand side to avoid the Petrol flap manual release.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
This is one I had in my early car..........bolted it to the tie down bolts in the boot and the top of the rear damper.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is one I had in my early car..........bolted it to the tie down bolts in the boot and the top of the rear damper.
Looks like what i want to do, just need to check if my clubs will go in the boot with a sub, haven't played since i got the car.

Nice looking install though fella.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts