Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a very frustrating afternon trying to change the rear disks and pads on my 156.

I have the Halfords piston retracion tool but it doesn't seem to do anything. I am turning the piston clockwise and it turns fine, but doesn't seem to retract. I have tried loosening the bleed nipple and pushing the piston as I turn it all to no avail.

I have also tried refitting the caliper and using a screwdrives tried to push back the piston using the old brake disk as leverage against it, but that hasnt worked either.

Is there something that I may have forgotton to do?

My step by step so far has been:

Remove Wheel
Remove Caliper (top and bottom bolt)
Remove Pads
Remove disk
Take hand brake off inside car
Slacken the bleed nipple and remove the top to the resevoir in the engine bay.
Try my damndest to retract piston so I can fit new pads.- And this is where it all falls over tsk!

Any ideas? If I dont get it done by tomorrow there will be no going to firework displays for the kids, so the pressure is on!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just changed mine today, so it's still fresh.

Are you using the tool correctly? It's supposed to turn and put pressure on the piston by locking the plate behind the front part of the brake caliper.

Because my pads were worn beyond the metal (made for a fun trip home from the nurburgring), I had to turn and press by hand to get the tool to fit, after that it was a breeze. It should work unless the piston is jammed.

Ps. I didn't even open the bleed valve.

Edit: I think removing the disc isn't really needed. You can loosen the caliper and slide it off the disc (while in place)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I am not convinced I was using the tool correctly as I couldn't work out what the plate was going to push against, or where on the tool the plate is supposed to sit.

In the end I took the end of the tool off and connected it to a socket spanner and used that instead, but this wouldn't give the pressure I need to push the piston back.

How did you set your piston tool up?

·
Registered
645 Posts
How did you set your piston tool up?
When turning clockwise you create a force (towards you) that is countered by the plate pressing against the solid front part of the caliper.

You should take the caliper out of the bracket that is fixed to the hub piece (with the bolts in sliding bits that are connected to the bracket)

It's kind of hard to explain it in english (I'm a dutchie). :(

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Screw and push:): Sounds familar.:(: Helps if you open the nipple, and put a tube, catcher bottle on the end. Did fronts and rears on the 147 about a week ago. Homemade tool, not pretty or brilliant, just about does the job:):

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I shall try again tomorrow. I am sure once I have worked out how to use the piston tool correctly it will be easy.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I take all the handbrake cables and connectors off the back of the caliper, would that make a difference while trying to wind back the piston?? The handbrake inside the car is off at the moment.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If I take all the handbrake cables and connectors off the back of the caliper, would that make a difference while trying to wind back the piston?? The handbrake inside the car is off at the moment.
Not really, so long as the cable is loose-ish you can leave it on.

As Guezen says, you need to twist and push at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HURRAY!! Done it.

The problem I had was that the metal plate that came with the piston tool is supposed to sit behind the front of the caliper, but the piston would not retract far enough for it to fit.

So I got Socket Wrench and attachd the head of the piston tool to that and pushed and turned with no avail.

But what you really need to do is PUSH!!!!!!! and turn. And mean PUSH! I had to put all my strenght into pushing the little blighter, just enough to fit that plate and after that the piston tool pushes itself against that and you only need turn the handle.

So, of anyone else has problems with this piston, dont push it, PUSH IT!!!!

Phew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts