Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio comes back on when my 156 is unattended. New-ish battery drained over the weekend. Any tips to stop this happening? :depressed:

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Dodgy radio? The 156 has radio that is only powered off from on/off button if it still has the original h/u so it has to be a dodgy switch

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dodgy radio? The 156 has radio that is only powered off from on/off button if it still has the original h/u so it has to be a dodgy switch
Hmm...thanx 4 ur thoughts on this.

The 'robot' switching on the radio in my absence must be controlled elsewhere than on the manual radio fascia front push on/off switch. It's factory fit Alfa OE incidentally.
I know this becuz, when this had happened b4 (early in the car's life), I have made sure every day since, that the radio was not still 'on' when the ignition was switched 'off'. By physically pressing the 'off' switch b4 turning the engine 'off'.
Up untill last week, this has sufficed, and no 'phantom' radio 'on' happenings have occured. Until now.

It seems extreme, but I'm thinking that if the 156's decade-old electrics are gonna go flakey on me, I could disable the radio completely - if it has a dedicated fuse to remove that is not gonna affect other fascia display items.

For now, I've trickle charged the battery, and will keep a beady eye on the radio on/off status, to see whether there are other factors, such as the alarm door closure sequence involved.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
There is a setting in the radio for its auto-power-off time.
I have a feeling there were issues with the radio with built-in CD. I have a distant memory that they powered up on their own unless you left a CD in them.
Weird I know, but I'm sure I remember hearing that somewhere...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - I'll do exactly that CD trick - what a fount of historic knowledge this forum is! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Ah ... mine's still got a tape deck .. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Ah ... mine's still got a tape deck .. :biglaugh:
Mine did too, but I remember CJ saying he had that problem with his 2002 156.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's still a permanent fault...

4 weeks in, and the fault looks like it's here to stay.
It's gone even weirder now: radio code not enabled since battery replaced, all quiet on the radio front.
Today, stuck in traffic, bored witless, typed in the code to re-activate the radio, and it goes mental again:irked:
Specifically - radio 'on' using radio fascia switch - all is well.
Radio 'off' using radio fascia switch before leaving the car parked. On return radio blaring away.
So far, so as before.
But Now. Sitting in car with electrics 'off' and radio 'off'. Suddenly the radio starts whirring and displays 'searching' for a CD, (no CD in slot) over and over and then switches the radio 'on'.
I'm thinking you guys with the long memories have nailed it to be the inter-relation between the CD source and the radio as source.
I tried leaving a CD in the deck with everything 'off' - and guess what? When I came back it was playing the CD:furious:

Have to settle for the ten year anniversary by de=activating the unit completely by disconnecting the battery briefly - it then asks for the code when battery re-connected, but all remains quiet.

As for the info centre and its multiple querks - don't get me started!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Or you can rewire the power feed from Permanent Live to Switched Live.
I did it after I upgraded the unit to a Lidl bluetooth jobbie. Must be a How-To on it either here or on Alfa156.net because I looked it up.
Its just a matter of swapping pins on the rear connector. The radio then only works with the ignition turned on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or you can rewire the power feed from Permanent Live to Switched Live.
I did it after I upgraded the unit to a Lidl bluetooth jobbie. Must be a How-To on it either here or on Alfa156.net because I looked it up.
Its just a matter of swapping pins on the rear connector. The radio then only works with the ignition turned on.
That's a great tip there, Rusty One. I'll trawl the sites for a 'how to' remove radio. Those four tiny holes and an allen key?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Put a modified wire coat hanger in the holes then pull on the radio not the hangers. A proper tool is available for this for around £5 but it's much less fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put a modified wire coat hanger in the holes then pull on the radio not the hangers. A proper tool is available for this for around £5 but it's much less fun.
Got it. £1.75 the pair on eBay! (I've not seen a wire coat hanger for years...maybe different in Wales ;-)):biglaugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts