Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gents,

Wanting to come back to the Alfa fold after a bit of time away.

Is there anything I should look out for on a 2003 2.0 litre petrol 156?

Don't know exact spec yet, but is there anything to look out for?

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Is it a 2.0TS or 2.0JTS ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So took a 2.0 TS for a test drive and the oil warning light stayed on for the entirety. It did flicker a few times. Thinking I should steer clear as I would assume this means the oil pressure is low?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Unless it's a fault, which probably isn't likely, the oil pressure light being on could also mean there is not enough oil in the engine. TSs are very sensitive to oil levels, so if it is below minimum mark the bottom end will have been damaged. A seller who hasn't even made sure there's enough oil in it doesn't bode well for how well it's been looked after in general. So yes, walk away. No matter how much of a bargain or however else the seller tries to hook you in, don't buy it unless you want to rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
So took a 2.0 TS for a test drive and the oil warning light stayed on for the entirety. It did flicker a few times. Thinking I should steer clear as I would assume this means the oil pressure is low?
Oil warning light is for Pressure and the warning is set so low that it effectively means NO pressure.
Amazed you kept on driving with the warning light on though.....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil warning light is for Pressure and the warning is set so low that it effectively means NO pressure.
Amazed you kept on driving with the warning light on though.....

Was only in it for about 5 min, just round the block really. he had apparently been driving it for quite some time like that. I've obviously walked away as I need something to last me at least 6 months. At which stage I'll be trying to blag a Giulia from work! Until then, I want another Alfa!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Was only in it for about 5 min, just round the block really. he had apparently been driving it for quite some time like that. I've obviously walked away as I need something to last me at least 6 months. At which stage I'll be trying to blag a Giulia from work! Until then, I want another Alfa!
Close call?

V

·
0 Posts
...so anyway, what are the legal ramifications when you take a car for a test drive before purchasing, and the engine blows up during the drive? :lol:

Lucky escape!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts