Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove up the garage to put petrol on my 2001 156 and the petrol flap wont open.

Is the cold causing this? Never had a problem before, the car has got about 10 miles left in the tank.

Is there a manual override to the switch?

HELP! I had to use a Bus yeaterday

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yep, inside the boot on the right there is a pull cord for the flap release:thumbs:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Drove up the garage to put petrol on my 2001 156 and the petrol flap wont open.

Is the cold causing this?

No ,Alfa is always full of "hidden " surprises, It happend to me 2 month ago for a few times but now works alright

·
Registered
24 Posts
mines done it in the cold..... the plastic pin that pushes the flap open was frozen, get a VERY SMALL FLAT SCREW DRIVER and push behind flap while some one pulls on flap lever in car.. should open, the de ice the pin, and give it a good coating in wb40 or somthing like that.

should do the trrick

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Didn't know that, does it apply to pre & post facelifts?

*edit* I will get off my fat erse & have a look :lol:
should be all of em, maybe behind the flap:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Nothing obvious :confused: - mebee is behind the trim?
its not big, little red cord, think mine was behind the trim flap thing:lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
mine is a very obvious 6 or so inches of cord hanging out of the trim if its there on the right. Maybe someone tucked it away!?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Mine is a pre face lift 156 and the cord is hanging down basicaly in line with the petrol cap, you can pull the cord and at the same time try and open your petrol cap with a key or screw driver if frozen. I pushed my petrol cap in to hard once and it went back more then it should have, the release by the drivers side wouldnt budge it so thats how i discovered the pull string.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I had this last week, didn't know about the cord inside the car.

So rather than trying to pull the cap open, I kept pushing it in on the left handside.

This appears to have broken the ice seal and allowed the cap to pop open :D

K

·
0 Posts
If you can't find it, someone has probably had the trim out at some point and left it tucked behind.

What I recommend if your cap freezes is NOT banging it with your fist like you might do on an old Sierra because it snaps the pin off.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ahhh, one of my favourite pastimes is looking behind the flaps . . . . . . . . . . . . .:wow:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts