Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I currently own a 2000 model 156 2.0 TS veloce. I've had her 7 years and spent thousands in maintenance. Unfortunately now rust is starting to creep in on front wings and quarters and although I have a brand new pair of genuine wings and im looking into nearly a full respray at the moment I'm starting to wonder if now is the time to let her go and get myself a GT? I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were, I love my 156 and with a GTA intake she sounds amazing but I think rust will kill her eventually :(

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think once the rot sets in its hard to stop it.

I went over my gt last weekend with a fine tooth comb ready for mot and apart from doing some underseal touch up it was all good

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Both!

They are different cars with the same platform. I've driven my 156 for 4 years and love her but bought my GT 3.2 in Dec. Absolutely love it. The 156 is a little softer and more 'comfortable' but the GT is a real drivers car. Lovely handling, loads of power, beautiful looks. The GT is also very practical for a coupe.

Do you really need the extra doors? If not I would go for the GT they just feel like really special cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a second car - possibly a little different...Fiat Seicento Abarth. I don't think I could afford a GT v6 but I could get a JTS, I've heard they're a bit lumpy at idle though and i'm already sure it won't sound as fruity as my TS....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I already have a second car - possibly a little different...Fiat Seicento Abarth. I don't think I could afford a GT v6 but I could get a JTS, I've heard they're a bit lumpy at idle though and i'm already sure it won't sound as fruity as my TS....
Aha. The only reason I'm running 2 is I wouldn't get anything for my 156 and she's well cared for.

Engine choices in GT aren't as good as 156. You can easily mod a JTS and improve sound. Don't buy a 3.2 unless you are prepared to plough thousands into it very quickly- I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same with my 156 I've spent over 5k in 7 years on her. The Sei is like a go kart really and quite rare. I've got a 146 1.6 too but she's sorn and wouldn't get through an mot now unfortunately due to rot

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Same with my 156 I've spent over 5k in 7 years on her. The Sei is like a go kart really and quite rare. I've got a 146 1.6 too but she's sorn and wouldn't get through an mot now unfortunately due to rot
Sell the 156 while she has an MOT, sell the 156 and you'll have enough for a deposit on a GT 3.2!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
5k in 7 years sounds like standard maintenance for an alfa. Got to be about 1k a year to keep them on the road usually....

·
Registered
948 Posts
A dilemma I could not answer either...

I loved my 156 which was pretty much immaculate with only 75K on the clock too, and had planned to keep it for a good few years.
A 2.0 TS Veloce with a few subtle modifications, sadly I only had it for around 18 months before an errant BMW-ist ploughed into the back of it while stopped at a zebra crossing :depressed:

Having a vague plan for a GT in the future was bought forward and I quickly found the JTD I have now, much as I'd love a V6 its not a realistic proposition for what is essentially a work hack though...If only they had offered the GT with the 2.0 TS or possibly 2.5 V6 petrol options?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Wow 1k per year on a TS?! My 156 has done very well then, apart from radiator, thermostat, discs/pads and 1 spot welding I've only had basic maintenance.

My v6, however, is another story.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I've both.

156 is a Ti, and its nice for poodling around in, but the GT is a totally different animal. Much more of a driving car.

I'd have the GT over the 156 any day of the week :yes::yes:

·
Registered
499 Posts
In my experience, the 156 is a lot softer and less sporty feeling than the GT. As a driver's car to enjoy, there is no comparison. Obviously, the GTA would be a different proposition. The problem is that the engine choice isn't as good for the GT. As an all rounder, it's hard to beat a GT Cloverleaf 170 diesel especially in Atlantico Blue metallic :happy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have run a gt with the incredible v6 forms months and every day I still giggle to myself as I roar through the rev range. The noise is incredible, power is great, a real drivers car that is so at home on windy roads. It's practical with plenty of space for a couple and the engine is very reliable if serviced properly. Just bear in mind however bad you think the economy it's worse.... much worse. £60 of v power will only return 200 miles if you have a heavy ish foot. But I have never regretted it for a second. If you can afford it... do it. I was after the 2.0l and really liked it then tried the v6 out of interest and it was sold the second I turned it on !!!!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts