Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 156 2l JTS its not burning oil or leaking oil but its used about 1.5l of oil in 1500 miles, this seems rather alot to me any ideas please.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Are you using the recommended 10w-60? If not then the oil is too thin, but how old is the engine and do you know its history?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't got my manual handy but doesn't it state in there that you can expect to use up to 1 litre per 1000km? Certainly my 156 2.0 JTS uses buckets of oil if I drive it enthusiastically.

Someone told me that at high revs oil is injected onto the piston skirts or something, which leads to high oil usage. I've no idea if that's true or not though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I haven't got my manual handy but doesn't it state in there that you can expect to use up to 1 litre per 1000km? Certainly my 156 2.0 JTS uses buckets of oil if I drive it enthusiastically.

Someone told me that at high revs oil is injected onto the piston skirts or something, which leads to high oil usage. I've no idea if that's true or not though.
Yes, (TS) engines have a reputation for burning oil when driven enthusiastically! I treat my TS like it was made out of egg shells :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've heard the 1l of oil per 1000 mile quote too, it's actually quite normal for a few different models of car though it still seems excessive to me and I've always wondered if manufacturers were simply using it as an excuse for high oil consumption by quoting it as normal. To keep customers happy and quiet.

As long as your using the right grade oil and the seals are all good then it's nothing to worry about. Just make sure you top it up before the idiot light comes on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
156 Oil Usage

Ah yes, oil consumption!!

OK. A few years back, I used to own a 155 V6. That thing drank oil but I never saw any blue smoke out of the exhaust or anything. I was quite perplexed for the entire time I owned the car. The manual for that car stated 1L of oil every 1000km to be acceptible (depending on driving style.) The car went on to do 155000 miles+ when I eventually sold it. I never did get to the bottom of the oil consumption, I just used to check it every week.

Now I replaced that car with a toyota MR2. I used to drive that VERY enthusiastically and it never used a drop!! I had a Celica after that, no problems there either.

Now I've recently bought a 156 TS and guess what??? It likes a drink of oil, so I reverted my to my old regime of checking the oil level weekly (and topping it up).

I'd had the car a couple of months when the big ends went. Turns out the previous owner had let the timing belt snap, fixed the top end but not bothered with the bottom end of the engine! I paid ££££'s to get the engine completely (and I mean completely!) rebuilt:-

Valve guides
Valve stem oil seals
Full set of shells
Con Rod (one was bent)
Crank (my old one was cracked)
Re-Bore
Timing Belt and Kit
Etc...
Etc..

Since the rebuild, I've been taking it very easy during the run-in period. I was advised to keep the revs below 3000RPM for the first 500 miles. I've done well over 2000 miles now and still keeping the revs down (scared of breaking it again I suppose).

I've been keeping an eye on my oil level, and it's using it. So my point is this. On a recently rebuilt 2.0L TS engine with 2000 miles on the clock, I've got to top the oil up, I guess it's just normal for Alfa's??? Unless the engine's smoking, I'd try not to worry about it too much, just check your oil and top it up.

There is one thing I have noticed though... I get two oil level readings when I check either side of the dipstick?? Has anyone else noticed this?

:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts