Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I found a thread from back in April 2014 about this, but it didn't really answer my queries.
So, first of all, apologies for repetition.

My 2001 2.0 TS has higher oil consumption than I'd expect - 3000 km from max to min.

It does rattle a little, especially when cold, but after just a few seconds, this goes - in the most part.

I will be due a cambelt change imminently, so my questions are.

1. What is "normal oil consumption for an older engine (174K km on clock)
2. If mine is high, what is the probable cause
3. Whilst cambelt is being done, is it worth (or let's say financially sensible to have other repairs done - depending on ansrwers to above questions)

Thanks a lot in advance
Neil

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Thats well within tolerance. 1L to 1000 km

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The dip-stick high-to-low is 1L, so as Scotty say it is within tolerance.

What oil do you use now? Personally I would recommend a more viscous oil like a 5W50 or 10W60.

The little rattle at startup is the cam variator that sometimes get solved with oil change and sometimes need to be replaced to get rid of rattle, but it is expensive and have to be done with cam-belt change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks a lot.
Am using 5W50 as a rule. Just seems like a lot of oil compared with other cars. However, if within tolerance, then I already feel better about it. Had my concerns it was something more sinister.
Need to get a quote for the cambelt, so will enquire, more out of interest than anything, about cost of the cam variator.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
If you want closer to zero oil consumption you are probably looking at an engine strip down. New rings and possibly over-boring although you may get away with just a bore honing as I did at 82K miles.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Some drink, some don't. My 156 and Spider, (both 2.0 TS), never hardly needed any oil between services, but my 147, (again 2.0 TS), would need topping up every fuel stop. This was not just a little oil but maybe 1 litre at a time.
I always kept a close eye on it and it got to 120,00 before the big end went and was not economically viable to re-build. I had the car from brand new and it was always like this from day one, lasted 12 years though !!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first 2L TS was brand new and used about a litre of oil every 1500 miles or so. I mentioned it to the garage and they said it was normal. The second one was £800 and old (12 years and 112k) and used about half as much. So, as others have said, they use oil. Some of them use lots. And it's apparently nothing to do with mileage.

The diesel I've got now (137k) uses absolutely no oil at all. It sort of feels wrong :)

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
When mine was being stripped down for new bigend shells (10k after a cambelt fail) they noticed a scratch in one bore. When they pushed out that piston to check properly the rings had minute cracks too. This was from new and had been looked after and not stressed or run low on oil. It eas using about 1L every 1500 miles.

Scratch honed out and new rings meant minimal oil use. Still going strong at 195k!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts