Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the throws of trying to find a 156 (have wanted one since I can remember). I test drove a Veloce today which is a 1.9JTD and it was wonderful...... The dealer had the service history printed out and apparently it had its odometre replaced after about 10k miles. The sales man told me this happened to a lot of 156's around the 04 time.....

does this sound correct?
Does anyone else have a 156 that had its odometre replaced?

The mileage on the car is incorrect because of this, it reads 27k miles, but has done 37 on this basis.

Looking for some advice please!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It's absolutley correct Emma. Loads of 04 built cars had the problem that affected the fuel gauge and trip computer. The service book will be stamped with the recall date and miles at change.

I flipped when they did mine and even went to Autoexpress (see my gellery) until Alfa paid up to get my missing 8k miles put on.

Don't be put off :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Yes, I did. The car had covered 3k so the before and after sums got addedd together. Alfa aproved & paid for the work. Other AO's have as similar success but most who have raised it haven't :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep I too had the exact problems stated by Squadrone Rosso. Had it replaced under the warranty and had no problems since. I didn't get the mileage amended though, I didn't even think to ask to be honest, I have the receipts and service booked stamped so it all tallies up. I can understand why Squadrone wanted his correct though. Don't let it put you off Emma.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Hi Emma - mine is a 03 plate 156 and when I bought it it had ~6500 miles on it. On day I went to collect it the dealer told me 'oh by the way we had to replace the fuel gauge and trip computer so now your miles read zero but we have marked it and stampled it in the service book...' I was furious but after a discussion I went ahead with the deal. The car has been fine so far, (cambelt change a comin' on the 13th March).
Sometimes it annoys me and I get paranoid about it ie what will happen when I come to sell it etc.' but I am keeping my car for a long time yet and will sell private eventually. My car has now covered ~32000 (including the 'lost' miles). I have thought about getting the miles out back on like squadrone rosso did but it doesn't affect the car and I am not going to p/x it so no sales man can try and tell me it is worth less because of this - you know what they are like :(

Don't let it put you off, just make sure it is all documented in the service book. Best of luck in your purchase. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, sounds all above board.... having had a bad experience with an arogant sales person I feel the need to check these things out just in case!

I am also trying to get to the bottom of how come the car has had something like 9 new tyres in 3 years, twice 3 tyres were replaced. The service history says tyre damage x3..... How do you damage 3 tyres all at once?

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
hmmmmmmmm...get suspension checked perhaps?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts