Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
My 156 Head gasket broke just after Christmas, my Mechanic fixed that but now there is no power when setting off and is struggling to get to 60mph.
He says that the steam from the engine might frozen in the exhaust Turing the cold weather and damaged the kats But am not sure,
Has anyone have any advice
thanks
Mikey

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Take the cats off and take the car for a test drive, it's the easiest way to test for a blocked exhaust. I don't think steam can freeze in a exhaust though, it's still nice and toasty when it comes out the tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
He might have damaged the MAF sensor or something

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
in changing the head gasket, you take the timing belt off. whats the betting the timing is out. did he use the propper cam locks, or tipex to mark it? :tut:

a maf wouldnt make it struggle to 60, could unplug it and see, but the timing on the TS doesnt need to be out by much, to screw it up.

struggling to get to 60 is a major power loss. a broken maf looses a bit of power, but not that much. you need a friendly local with alfadiag to hook it up and see whats going on, but it sounds like the timing too me im affraid. and if it is, get it checked sooner rather than later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts