Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone needed a new front anti-roll bar fitted to their 156/other Alfa?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeh, I got one fitted to my 156 under warranty. The seals on either side of it were shot and the front suspension was rattling like the shocks were knackered. It turned out to be the anti-roll bar.
Took a couple of weeks for the dealer to get his hands on one. Then the best part of a day to fit it. But after that the problem went away. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kendr, useful info. Was you car also handling very poorly, with lots of body roll/sideways movement particularly on bends? Can you also tell me what year you car was registered?

My handling and 2 other colleagues is very poor and my bar has been diagnosed as being "weak", which was a suprise to me as it's a strong, thick piece of metal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've a 01 Sportivo with stiffer set up. Road surfaces here are crap so it takes a bit of a hammering. The anti roll bar is exactly the same one as used in the Fiat Marea and it has a weakness they've known about for some time.

Yes the handling went off and the car felt wobbly at times coming out of a corner. This cured it. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent.

Alfa "have known for the weakness for some time"? Really - do tell more!!!

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kendr, how do you know that Fiat/Alfa "have known for the weakness for some time"?

Is it a documented problem?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry Harp, I was away for a couple of days. The mechanic in the dealership that sorted it told me about the Marea/156 anti-roll bar problem. The seals at either side go after a bit of heavy usage apparantly. It's not dangerous though - at least I don't think so. Just rattles about a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts