Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
There must be a few of you out there on your second floorpan by now! Autolusso list the part for £133 which seems pretty cheap but I suspect it will take significantly longer to fit than a patch, which is my other option. I have 2 holes on the nearside. My concern would be that once you commit to an entire new floorpan you will be chasing rust forever and my car will turn into a money pit. Sometimes ignorance is bliss as my car doesn't look rusty at all. Infact the underseal has always been intact and I've applied additional underseal myself anually since ownership. It appears to be rusting from inside out!
Basically, I know the right thing to do is fit a new floorpan but I'm aiming to only get another 2 years and 40,000miles out of the old jalopy and spending hundreds on chasing rust wasn't part of the plan.

Option 1: Patch for MOT
Option 2: New floorpan

Can anyone who has faced a similar dilema please advise on the costs involved so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,104 Posts
Which panel is it for £133?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would just contact Autolusso and see if they can give you an idea seeing as the part is listed on their site?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Having just patched a 156 rather extensively - I don't think it would be any quicker to put in a new floorpan. All the effort is in preparing the rest of the car for the patch - so cleaning up the sills, making sure they are sound, shiny and ready for welding. The actual welding takes a few minutes.

Patch properly - as in cut out all of the rust, clean up the sill line, and weld in new metal - and it will outlast the rest of the car. Bodging the patch will make it much worse - I've seen people welding to the bottom of the sill join (thus making a perfect rust trap), folding over the still line (making 2 perfect rust traps). I think the guy who "fixed" mine was trying to weld to the carpet.

Lots of patch fun here:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/797610-156-v6-restoration-childrens-edition.html

·
Registered
38,013 Posts
Depends on how bad it is.

If you just have holes where the footwell is, it might be easier to just cut out the rusty bits and find some metal sheet and cut that to fit.

It would be cheaper as well.

Me and my brother did my last 156 in an afternoon, the hardest part was removing enough interior trim to get to the floor.

I used some shelves off of some metal racking which was being thrown away from my work as it was ideal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
There must be a few of you out there on your second floorpan by now! Autolusso list the part for £133 which seems pretty cheap but I suspect it will take significantly longer to fit than a patch, which is my other option. I have 2 holes on the nearside. My concern would be that once you commit to an entire new floorpan you will be chasing rust forever and my car will turn into a money pit. Sometimes ignorance is bliss as my car doesn't look rusty at all. Infact the underseal has always been intact and I've applied additional underseal myself anually since ownership. It appears to be rusting from inside out!
Basically, I know the right thing to do is fit a new floorpan but I'm aiming to only get another 2 years and 40,000miles out of the old jalopy and spending hundreds on chasing rust wasn't part of the plan.

Option 1: Patch for MOT
Option 2: New floorpan

Can anyone who has faced a similar dilema please advise on the costs involved so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks.
Had my floor pans done around 3/4 years ago. There was an extra cost for the passenger air bag sensor. When it was replaced, the air bag warning light was displayed on the dash and the only way to resolve this was by diagnostics. There was nothing wrong with the air bag or the sensor, simply connecting the diagnostics resolved the warning light.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
We generally don't fit the complete floor pan in the workshop when doing a repair, we cut them down and use the part that needs to be repaired so to keep the shape of the floor

Anyway we only have a couple of these left and we can't order any more, another part out of production and no longer available

Ned

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I'll get my carpets up and see what the full extent is. I'll probably do the prep myself but I've never welded. Hopefully I'll use the dremmel rather than the grinder. Just got to repair it well enough for another 2 years of motoring. It's not like I'm selling on and pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.
I'll post some pictures once I've investigated. Hopefully the weather will be good over Easter. Worryingly it all looked really good with no gaps in the original underseal. My hand brake cable was hanging so I just had a tap around while fixing this. I suspect most 156s will be suffering the same way. Best not to look really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts