Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm interested in buying a 156 and seen one I like however the seller is saying on the v5 it don't say veloce lusso etc ?

I've done an online free check from reg and just get not available ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
What year is the car you're looking at? Mine's a 2000 and I don't believe they actually gave the 156 different model designations back then. As far as I can make out, there were Sport Pack One and Two as options, and presumably leather was an option too, but I think there was only one standard model when they first came out.

If anyone comes along and corrects me, I'll be as interested as you because I've just come to this conclusion from the research I did on the internet when I got my car.

John.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ignoring the GTA there are only 3 main trim levels - Turismo ( Basic ), Lusso and Veloce ( top of range ) - the DVLA will only have the info given to them by the dealer on first registration so the fact it doesnt say the trim level isnt necessarily a cause for concern.

If you do a mycarcheck this may give you more info particularly if you have the VIN number

Failing that a link to the ad should give enough info for people on here to tell you what spec it is.

I have a 2001/2002 pre-facelift brochure and spec guide which tells you the key differences if you can give an overview of the spec

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Lusso etc came after launch. Early models had factory fit options s 159john says. Sportpack1, 2 & 3.

Doesn't say that on my v5 that mine's a sportpack 2.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
You have to look at the car and see what it has (leather, skirts, Bose, climate control etc) then come back here and the guys will tell you what car it is!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its best with the 156 as its been out for such a long time now that you just look at the car and see what it has.

Most trim packs (Sport packs) and Turismo / Lusso / Veloce after 2001 would / could have been changed later down the years.

Best to pick one thats a decent car and then you can always add a few bits cheaply if you fancy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What usually works for me is...
go online to an auction site and buy an original sales book covering your cars year. You will then be able to match the trim level to your car, plus you'll have an original sales pack which can only enhance any subsequent sale..win, win I think.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
As it's been around for a good few years, the mix of trim can be down to owners upgrading (or downgrading!) as the prefer another interior, colour, etc. I'd imagine there are a few originals still around (like mine!) but I bet that most have had something changed.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Can anyone explain if there were any original factory suspension set up options on the 156?

I had a 1998 V6 which had 16"teledials and seemed to sit lower that my 2001 jtd sportwagon which has 15" pepperpots...
They both have leather and neither have additional skirting/body kits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried insurance quotes? Often it will say what model off the reg plate. Euro car parts are pretty good at that aswell

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Can anyone explain if there were any original factory suspension set up options on the 156?

I had a 1998 V6 which had 16"teledials and seemed to sit lower that my 2001 jtd sportwagon which has 15" pepperpots...
They both have leather and neither have additional skirting/body kits.
Sportpack models had 25-30mm lower springs (Eibach with Bilstein struts)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It doesn't bother me whether it's a Turismo, Lusso or Veloce. My current car has the skirts and leather seats, steering wheel & gear stick. My previous one had the leather interior but no skirts. Both look cracking IMHO.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sportpack models had 25-30mm lower springs (Eibach with Bilstein struts)
aha....so it wasn't just the interior or bodykit or wheel options...there was actually a difference in the suspension set -up. Excellent, thank you!!

So, any sportpack (1,2 or 3) had the exact same lowered set-up (assume slightly stiffer springs). Rather than in incremental set up from 1-3?

I.E Sportpack 1 - slightly between standard set up and sportpack 2 etc?

Is there anyway to tell apart from looking for colour marks on the springs? I've seen dobs of paint on coil springs...white, green, yellow etc...as if the colour signifies something.

I assume then on later named versions that Veloce had the sportpack springs, and Lusso and Turismo standard ride?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The only difference between SP1, 2 & 3 was the seats.
SP3 being leather.

Because of the pricing structure in late 90's an SP3 cost less than a std car with some of the SP3 bits added.
So as a result, SP3 sold well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would anyone be able to clarify that M-Jet engines still have JTDM on the engine cover ('05 1.9)? I was sort of expecting to see M-Jet on the engine cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts