Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, went to see 53 plate jdtm sport wagon today - private sale, which would be used as everday commute, leaving the GT for "nicer" trips. Car had 69k mileage, fairly neat and tidy, full service history, but whilst passenger and driving the car noticed a slight but noticeable vibration/ shaking whilst going 40 to 50, it then went away, this worried me a bit. No unusual noises/clonks from the, car, and no vibration or movement through the steering, brakes felt fine, and no noises on cornering, no abnormal wear on tyres, seller said it was "probably" a buckled rim - any thoughts, or has anyone had anything similar??? - thanks

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
sounds highly likely , more like dented rim, if you check the inner rims all round it could be your answer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, thats what I thought, had a casual look at the inside of the rims, but saw nothing obvious, there were no other noises coming from the car, the owner said it needed new discs and pasa, funny thing is though, I never noticed any vibration/through the steering wheel

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after looking at teh forum I think this is possibly engine mounts or flywheel, any more toughts?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What sort of alloys were they? My wife's 156 sportwagon alloys were made of butter and 3 became buckled. There would not be any apparent damage visible...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were the stadard multi spoke 17", excatly the same as those fitted to my GT, what is the best indy AR garge in the midlands, as it may be worth a quick call. I did notice that the weights were new, but the tyres were not, so I suspect that the weeles were rebalnced in order to solve the problem. I would have thought a buckled rim would have been felt through the steering???? - unless its the rears that are shot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts