Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to unlock my car and the button on the key just goes all the way down and doesn't "click". The button to open the boot still works.
By shaking the key it's clear that the microswitch (or part of it) has come loose inside and is rattling around.

I'm too scared to unlock the car manually with the key, as I'm not sure the alarm will turn off once the ignition is switched on.
Spare key is at home. Will have to get a lift there and back to collect the car.

Now the question is - how do I open the broken key and fix the broken button?
I have seen this guide: http://www.alfa156.net/tech/buttonflipkey.pdf
My key is the same as that one, with the two separate rubber bits, not the later 156 flip key that has one big rubber area stretching between both buttons.

The first step, removing the logo to get at the screw beneath is proving troublesome. The logo doesn't seem to want to budge using a small screwdriver to try to prise it loose.

Anyone done this before? I don't even own a soldering iron...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
You need a sharpe pointy screw driver and take your time with it.
Also remove the battery, it will help split the key.

Once you have the screw out, make sure you don't split the key to quick or the key blade will flip out of the spring.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a proper screwdriver and managed to loosen the screw. I haven't opened the key fully yet, as I still need to take it to someone who can do the soldering for me.
I am not sure the switch itself will still be useable. It may have physically broken in addition to coming loose...

Trying to source a replacement switch from electronics shops in the area has been tricky. They don't seem to carry the correct types.

Do you think it would be possible to remove the boot-opening switch and put that into the place of the car unlocking switch?
I mean, the boot-unlocking switch isn't critical, it's just a luxury. Being able to drive a car without the alarm blaring is a bit more important...

On a side note - after getting the spare key, I checked whether I was able to get the alarm to shut up after setting it with the button and then unlocking the car physically with the key. It doesn't seem possible. The door unlocks, but the alarm LED keeps flashing. When the door is opened, the alarm starts blaring immediately. Putting the key into the ignition and turning it to MAR doesn't silence the alarm, and neither does switching on the engine.
The manual states that the alarm should deactivate by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to MAR, but unless I'm misunderstanding it, this does not work...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
when i had a key get wet i had to unlock manually and drive like that. The alarm goes off for about the first 5 minutes of driving haha.

The immobiliser is separate and works of the chip embedded in the key.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i had a key get wet i had to unlock manually and drive like that. The alarm goes off for about the first 5 minutes of driving haha.

The immobiliser is separate and works of the chip embedded in the key.

So it shuts up after a few minutes after starting the engine, until you start the engine again?

Meaning, if it happens, you could start the car in the car-park, whistle nonchalantly for the alarm to stop blaring and then drive the car to wherever the spare key is and the alarm will only start up again if the engine is switched off and on again?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yes.

it stops and starts and makes a ruccus for about 5 minutes then keeps quiet until you have the ignition off and back on again.

as i recall that is. it was about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes.
it stops and starts and makes a ruccus for about 5 minutes then keeps quiet until you have the ignition off and back on again.
as i recall that is. it was about 5 years ago.

Not the most elegant of solutions, but I guess I could give it a try later, if I have the patience.
I'm just dreading a situation where I'm 500km from the spare key and the button on my key breaks or something.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Why not use the current spare as main key and leave dodgy button key as spare? Or am I missing something.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not use the current spare as main key and leave dodgy button key as spare? Or am I missing something.
Yes, that is what I'm currently doing, but I'm dreading a situation where the only fully functioning key also breaks and then I'm buggered.
Or even, if I get the broken one fixed and have two working keys again, what if I'm 500km from home with only one key and the key's button breaks? Then I don't want to have to drive 500km with a blaring siren...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then the questions would be: Is it possible to disconnect the siren after unlocking the door manually with the key, with minimal tools and effort? How would one go about doing this?

(I just once again want to add - this is not an immediate problem, but I'd like to know just in case a key button breaks again in future.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, that is what I'm currently doing, but I'm dreading a situation where the only fully functioning key also breaks and then I'm buggered.
Or even, if I get the broken one fixed and have two working keys again, what if I'm 500km from home with only one key and the key's button breaks? Then I don't want to have to drive 500km with a blaring siren...

The siren stops a few minutes after start up and comes on again after you switch off the engine. After repeated on/off the siren gives up:D and only the red illumination will show that the alarm is activated. This was on my pre-facelift TS with the red key.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The siren stops a few minutes after start up and comes on again after you switch off the engine. After repeated on/off the siren gives up:D and only the red illumination will show that the alarm is activated. This was on my pre-facelift TS with the red key.

I think I might try it to see if this happens on my car as well, when the car is somewhere it won't disturb anyone with a blaring siren.
At least I currently have one fully operational key, so it's not an immediate problem.

I'm just a bit baffled as to why the alarm doesn't turn off once the key is in the ignition, turned to MAR. The CODE light on the dash goes off as normal, and the engine starts as normal - surely this should tell the alarm that everything is fine? My interpretation of what's in the manual agrees with this too...

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I think you can relocate the boot release switch without too many problems.
I have the same concern. I wonder if there is a fuse for the alarm - I expect there must be. The siren will have its own battery too though so either way you will get some but limited amount of noise.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you can relocate the boot release switch without too many problems.
I have the same concern. I wonder if there is a fuse for the alarm - I expect there must be. The siren will have its own battery too though so either way you will get some but limited amount of noise.
I'll probably get a chance to try to either re-fit the loose switch or re-locate the boot release switch and see what's what.
In any case, I still want to try and determine how to shut the alarm up. From what I have been reading, apparently inserting the key and turning to MAR after unlocking the door manually works on the 147.
Anyone here with a 147 willing to try it?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I'll probably get a chance to try to either re-fit the loose switch or re-locate the boot release switch and see what's what.
In any case, I still want to try and determine how to shut the alarm up. From what I have been reading, apparently inserting the key and turning to MAR after unlocking the door manually works on the 147.
Anyone here with a 147 willing to try it?
Works :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Works :thumbs:
Could you describe exactly what you did?
Was it exactly the following?

1. Arm alarm with key fob button.
2. Unlock car physically with key in drivers' door.
3. Open door. (Siren starts blaring.)
4. Get in the car, close the door.
5. Insert key into ignition and turn to MAR. (Siren stops blaring.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts