Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Model: 156 JTS 2.0 (56 Plate) - 80,000 miles

This is my first post on this great resource, thanks to you all for some interesting and useful posts in the past.

I have a specific question relating to the diagnostics of (yet another) MCSF - My 156 typically fails once a month. The last issue was an always open temperature value on the thermostat which needing replacing.

My local garage, who offer great service generally, want to charge me £60+VAT for a plug in and read of the MCSF error code. As this happens on a regular basis is there a less expensive solution? I know the 156 needs a lot of TLC but I'd rather not have to pay so much to understand what work actually needs to be done to fix the problem!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Bournemouth
Dorset
UK

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Your best option is to download multiscan from

www.multiecuscan.net (free version will read and reset codes including the airbag which most cheap scanners don't)

Then buy a cable. Either buy one from Rarebear on here (send him a pm for one of his modified and tested cables) or search eBay for "Alfa Romeo diagnostic cables" and buy a set from 'Buy-Me-From-dan'

Total cost is about £20 and you can read the codes yourself at your own leisure.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Recently bought the cables myself following Tommywho's link, they will come with Instructions to download and install the software. Laptop running Windows required. £60+VAT seems pretty steep for less than five minutes work - once the software's installed it's A doddle to connect and scan, and if the code relates to something easily DIYable the cable will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the quick response. I'll go ahead and get the cable and check the code myself before any work is carried out.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts