Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i would like to get rid of the airbox on my 156 sw 1.9 and replace with a tube and filter or something similar has anyone done this and had good results cheers
:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Don't do it.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
But the conclusion that the standard airbox is better than a replacement is based just on testing only ONE type of aftermarket filter-cant really come too that conclusion unless you test more than ONE and the std box is better than all aftermarket ones tested!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I agree, it's hardly a 'fair' test, but the filter tested against is one of the more popular choices of the forum in general.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes... I have BMC-CDA 80-150 and I have better results (+1500mg/i as injected air quantity) with it (on my remaped 147 1.9 JTD 8v) in comparison with OEM filter (on one remaped 147 1.9 JTD 16v), but other Alfa owners told different... Really fair test is comparison of the best aftermarket intake systems from BMC, K&N, GSR, etc, with original OEM on the same Alfa, in same temp conditions and same driving conditions (only dyno test)... All other circumstances is non-objective for real conclusion...

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
One sounds boomy and the other does not not.
One spools the turbo faster and offers much better low end torque than the other.
One has more than 0.5l/100km lower fuel consumption compared to the other.
And they both have practically the same top end air flow.
One is designed to work with this engine form the factory, with CAD software and advanced CFD simulations.

I'm very glad if it works for you, but it definetely doesent work for me...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
oi typos. When you coming over so I can see your bodge in all its glory???

Alfyandmay: hello mate.. again! :lol: Depends what you want. I run the K&N but will be upgrading soon to either a bodge like typos :D (More likely) or a BMC CDA if I'm feeling flush!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I was just pointing out, TribesMan that you ve only tested 1 so other induction kit and others might be better-I ve said before that I cant see the point of carbon fibre inn an induction kit, cos its main strengths are lightness and strength and neither of those help in an induction kit, but found out recently that carbon also has a particular resonance, so I think the main benefit of the CDA is that it makes a difference to the sound-ie its developed to maximise the noise rather than to improve airflow.

All in good time Joss-gotta sort out the master cylinder and an MOT at the mo-srun out!

I ve got some pics on here somewhere-alfyandmay wanted a look as well-I ll try and find the thread and post a link...pictures on page 3 on this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/205472-gsr-intake-for-jtd.html -I m going to change the actual filter. Not very good pics-I need to take the fuse box out for better pics.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
what the hell. Thats far too good to call a bodge! I retract my previous ribbing :D

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Fanks very much!

Think it might work on a 156 and GT as well-you could replicate it very easily by buying the 45deg aly bend with MAF tube from 1_regals_motorsport on ebay, although it would depend on where the grilles in the bumper end up on those 2 cars-maybe you d need a different pipe? Have to have a look and see really. I used 45 deg as it allows for a smoother flow than 90deg. The MAF tube wasnt in the best position for me as you can see from the pics-I ve never had any probs at all with it, but ideally it be a bit further towards the top of the tube so the MAF pipe could be shorter. Moved it all to another 147 and its been fine on there too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
typos I'm not going to continue this "holy war of air inductions", and this is the last post on this topic from me...

I dont know from where did you get the idea the CDA is made to maximise noise, as this is not mentioned anywhere on the packaging, but there are a lot of dyno graphs with before and after performance measurements. I guess they were trying to state that it improves performance...

But the problem is not with CDA being bad. The thing is that the original box is a very clever piece of design.
It offers huge filtering element, that does not ruin the MAF with oil and it does really goddamn good job of filtering the air (much better that any cotton or foam based filter).
It also dampens noise, prevents the water from entering the engine, it is a CAI and also a ram-air intake.
It has a resonator, which helps the engine breathe in low revs, and it improves overall fuel counsumption.

What else would anybody want? Thats much more than any aftermarket airfilter could possibly offer.

And do you think that any car manufacturer is so stupid that they would fit an intake that is restrictive?
Everyone is fighting for lowest possible fuel consumption these days... non-restrictive airbox is the first step to the goal.

Anyway, this is the way I see it. Maybe CDA is really crappy piece of design and maybe there is a possibility to make a better airbox. But if you look at it, for that % or maybe two better performance (very unlikely), you must sacrifice a lot... Too much for me.

Your system looks cool. I hope it works better than mine did :)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I came up with the theory about carbon fibre TribesMan cos there is no other reason why you would want your air intake to be made from a very strong and very light material-doesnt offer any advantage over plastic or metal in an airbox, doesnt effect the amount of air flow, doesnt do anything plastic wouldnt do (ie you would get exactly the same results if the box was exactly the same shape, just made of plastic or metal) so sound can be the only reason its made of carbon fibre, well sound or an excuse for charging more for their product .

Tis an intersting thread JS, I ve seen loads of rolling road tests of filters/kits in magazines and a lot of the tests showing no gain or making less than the factory one, but one or 2 DO end up showing an improvement in power and torque. I ve never used oil on my filter-always buy one that doesnt need it.

The GSR filter/induction kit DID show gains and was of the few that did and there is rolling road proof on here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Right all of stop it! There are pros and cons to everything in life. The reason every one wants te CDA is cos it looks damn cool and we are suckers for mass marketing. Typos has built a bad boy bit of kit which works really well. Tribesman I can see all of your points and you are right for a lot of it a yes alfa's are very good systems as they are derived from race engines however, and I know this because I used to work for ford the filters at designed with restrictions on purpose. This comes from the tech guys from there. There are two main reasons for this. Firstly is noise. There are strict rules set on manufacturers over noise As most people don't want big booming cars so the longer and more restrictive the system the quieter the car. Secondly the manufacturer likes tk releas a "hot" version if their car. There is no point making the entry level car ad quick as the hot one as everyone would just buy that instead. Right everyone friends again? :D

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Its a Ripspeed one (probably a copy if K & N do one like it), but I m going to change it.

The filter you use is up to you really-whatever one you think is best.

Lol, I dont think any of us fell out Joss-we re just discussing it and our differing opinons. That thread JS posted does make some interesting points and Pud has said about filter oil killing MAFs before. But you raise some good points about restrictions, noise and performance versions. Manufacturers often offer the same engine in 2 or 3 states of tune by just altering the mapping in the ECU!

Just gotta make your own mind up I suppose and do what you feel is best.

Maybe we should all chip in and arrange deffinitive rolling road tests of several different induction systems?!

·
Registered
818 Posts
On my Alfa i had OEM air intake system, K&N Apollo and now I have BMC-CDA 80-150... All in combination with remap. During testing of BMC I found some interesting issues:
a) noise (or sound, if it someone likes) was decreased if turbo pressure increased and
b) maximum airflow sometimes non coincide with maximum boost pressure - some remaps with smaller boost give as a result better airflow...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Haha I know that. Cool. I'm up for a dyno day. :D can try the standar box with hi flow filter and whatever I have plumper with by then

1 - 20 of 21 Posts