Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 156 sportwagen that will sometimes drive perfectly over all road surfaces but on other occasions will knock from the suspension quite badley even on a relatively good surface. I have inspected visually but cannot find anything obviously wrong. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Agree with Mike, probably will not be that obvious, jack her up, try a pry-bar, let her down, try a pry-bar. Best done on a 4 poster lift.
Kind Regards, Z.F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the noise is from the front,it could be top wish bones,to check ,jack the car up at lifting the wheel of the floor,and pull /push the wheel/tyre at the top,if there is play feel if it is in the top wish bone....
if from the rear check the rear arms [4 of them] also check bushes[2] at the bottom of the rear hubs for movement................................ MP

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Similar sound from the front of our 25K SW. Dealer changed the ARB & droplinks and it seems quiet now :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Squadrone Rosso said:
Similar sound from the front of our 25K SW. Dealer changed the ARB & droplinks and it seems quiet now :)
Sounds a lot like ARB links to me. I was told that the links and roll bar come as one unit v. expensive

R

·
0 Posts
ravenblue said:
Sounds a lot like ARB links to me. I was told that the links and roll bar come as one unit v. expensive

:eek: Unless it's a different type on the facelift model that isn't true, the drop links are available from shop4parts for about £20 each I think and unless they're seized tight it's a straightforward job to change them.

*EDIT - They're actually doing them on special offer now for £9.99 each*

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Sounds like wishbones (can't remember if it was top or bottom), Justin from Bluebell Motor Company (on the forums as 'justin') replaced my Alfa 156's last week, it is now perfect. It was a knocking noise like you describe, when he jacked it up the front wheels had a lot of play, drivers side being the worst, this was due to the bearings in the wishbones - they had collapsed :eek: Anyway, it wasn't expensive to fix, i got both wishbones done, 2 new kuhmo 16" tyres and an oil and filter for just over 300 quid. well worth it :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The bits were warranty on ours so not bothered. Was told they HAD to change the bar, links & bushes :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts