Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 156/147/GT range NEVER came with the old master key system.

Early 156 came with two identical red keys (both remote)
Later 156 came with two identical black keys (both remote)

(Pictures below as attachments!)

New keys ordered via a main dealer parts dept.
Usual price is between £100-£150 for a new key fully setup for the car.

Yes you need the Alfa diag system to allow the new key to work with the car.

Also get hold of the "Code Card" and the alarm PIN code.

PS Words courtesy of David C, pics liberally lifted from ebay :)

Attachments

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
hmmm that looks familiar...!

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Yep, main dealer parts dept.
Take your V5 doc with you to confirm that you own the car.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've managed to get the codecard before I had the v5 with a recipt from an auction in my name + id. Also it's not just AR dealers who can code the key. They quoted me a cheap price (something like £35-£45), but recovery would have been very expensive to ge the car to the dealer as I had no key at all. I got a local autoelectrician/locksmith person out for £70, but he came to my drive.

·
Registered
665 Posts
And if you have problems with the switches on the black keys then pop over to alfa156.net and look for my repair guide under the tips section.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yes , i have the same problem , i only had one key (red) when i bought my 156, so which is the cheapest way of getting another key and coded for starting the engine, not to fussed about central locking as mines playing up, do i have to go to the main dealer for the key ???? how does it work????

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the black but the red look much :cool: :cool:

Why the dull change?:(

Can you get new red ones?

I have the code card with all the origional docs.

Cal

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
jUST BEEN THERE DONE THAT, OR WILL BE, THE CODE CARD HAS BEEN ORDERED £11 ROUGHLY AND ONCE i HAVE EXHAUSTED MY TRAIL TO FIND THE OWNER, I WILL HAVE TO ORDER A NEW KEY , £150 ALL TOLD, IT COMES CUT AND THEN GETS CODED WITH YOUR OWN KEY(IF YOU STILL HAVE ONE) ON THE EXAMINER AND BOB`S YOUR UNCLE SO TO SPEAK!:p

·
Registered
335 Posts
CalumDunkley said:
I have the black but the red look much :cool: :cool:

Why the dull change?:(

Can you get new red ones?

I have the code card with all the origional docs.

Cal
Aye, i think the red remotes would suit my red Alfa much better! :cry:

Though their seems more buttons on the black ones, if they were identical you could swap the insides out, as i considered this, but they arent so i doubt you could. :(

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
With the black keys there also came the ability to remotely open the boot/tailgate from the remote, so there is an extra button for that.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
My black key has only 2 buttons - one for central locking and the other for the boot. Boot opening is very handy and I really miss it when I use my other 156 with the red key.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aren't the metal key patterns different on the two types?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have one red key, all it came with.

If I go to a key cutting place and get a copy made up will it be any good or do I need the proper alfa key?

I don't really need another key except if I lose my current one, so having a cheapo lying around that I can use in emergency would be good until I organise another proper key,

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've heard of one place that can do none original alfa keys, but I think it was about £40-50 and wouldn't have alfa logo or remote, just key with chip inside, which still needs to be programmed to your car, so I would just go the alfa route personally.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
If you were able to get a key without chip you would have to use the emergency immobiliser procedure every time you start the engine.

Obviously you wouldn't be able to turn the alarm off either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm having a new key on Wednesday - as my spare key doesnt turn the immobiliser off. The dealer said they can't reprogramme the key ... so its £170 inc for a new one. I really don't understand why they just couldnt reprogramme it as the central locking works and the alarm is deactivated ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
a good locksmiths who do automotive keys can apply for the codes from advanced diagnostics costs about £20 and with the help of a ad100 or newer machine can programme the car to accept new keys costs about £70 all in,trust me I do that job,Alfa's upto about 2003 no probs haven't looked into newer ones yet.:D :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
cheers kev, so when you say a good locksmith who!!! i tried one who said all he could do was make a key to open the doors and lock, could not apply the code to start the car, can you explain in a bit more depth, can i take my key and get a key cut over the counter (non alfa dealer) and will it start my 156?????

1 - 20 of 55 Posts