Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my remote key had stopped working some time back......only boot remote worked and then that stopped working also. The red light used to come on the fob when you pressed the buttons. All stopped working , tried a new battery....no joy.

That was about a year ago......made enquiries about a replacement key ( I only have one ) and the dealer cost was prohibitive. I used the key manually, unlocking doors and starting no problem. I was never happy having one key and decided to fix the remote and then perhaps get a non remote spare .

I Recently bought a repair kit expecting that possibly the switches had packed up, apparently a common problem . It came with a new plastic case, blank key blade, two replacement swicthes and a new battery. 20 euro ....good price. I took my own one apart, the switches seemed to be working , you could feel them click positively, decided i needed a very fine soldering iron and a magnifying glass to replace them, would get one later . Assembled the old circuit board and key blade in the new case , battery ect and thought no more. Noticed the red light on the fob did not come on when you pressed a button. Presumed it was not working.

Next day , went out to the car to go to work, manually opened the door, alarm went off, haven`t heard that in years, discovered the remote was working for the door locks and boot release with the expected noises beeping and car hazard lights working for on and off.............he but the car wouldn`t start. I suspect I have upset the programming. I had a quick search through the forum and tried switching on and off several times ( sixteen ) and tried removing the battery in and out a couple of times. Car still wont start . It is a reliable starter and has never failed to start only since now when I interfered with the key. Made alternative arrangements to get to work and will search the forum later more carefully for info .

Anybody out there with the programming info ?? I`m grounded at the minute and need the car to get to work. Its an `04 facelift 156 1.6 Lux.
Any help appreciated..............Dannyboy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anybody out there with the programming info ?? I`m grounded at the minute and need the car to get to work. Its an `04 facelift 156 1.6 Lux.
Any help appreciated..............Dannyboy.
Emergency start procedure. you should have been given the code card, when you bought the car.
It is a pain, but better than walking.

If you make any mistakes, turn the key to STOP and then start again.

1 Read the code on the card
2 Turn the key to MAR
3 Keep the accelerator pressed full. The engine management light will come on for 8 seconds then go off. Now release the pedal.
4 Warning light flashes, but count the number of times it flashes (this is the first digit of the code) then hold down the accelerator until the light is steady for 4 seconds. Then release the pedal
5 Warning light flashed (for the number of the second digit of the CODE) and press/hold the accelerator again.
6 Repeat this for the last 3 digits of the CODE.
7 After the last digit of the CODE, the the accelerator pressed (do not release) as the warning light will stay on for 4 seconds. When the light goes off, then release the accelerator.
8 The warning light should flash for 4 seconds to show the process is correct.
9 Turn the key from MAR to AVV without returning to the STOP position.

If the warning light stays on, the process was not done correctly. Start again from point 1.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Assembled the old circuit board and key blade in the new case , battery ect and thought no more. N

If you put only the key blade and the circuit board into the new case, but not the passive immobiliser chip, it's no wonder the car won't start.

It's a little oblong black/grey thing about as big as two match-heads that press-fits into the back part of the black plastic key case, at the "top" near the key blade spring. It is completely separate from the circuit board.

Hopefully you didn't throw away the old key case! Try holding it near the ignition key barrel of the car when trying to start it. The antenna loop might pick it up even if it's not inside the actual key you are using to start the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All......well I wondered where that little piece of black plastic came from ! I couldn`t see where it had broken off from !. I was convinced that the transponder chip would be on the circuit board. Thanks to all your help I had it fixed in 5 minutes when I got home from work. . Inserted back in its little slot and car started no problem, all alarm and remote control functions working fine. Only the little red l.e.d. on the fob is not working . I can live without that. Thankfully I had kept the "broken off piece of plastic" with the old key parts safe in a little ziploc plactic bag.......close one , could have dropped it and lost it.
I`ll keep the emergency get you home info also. Its good to know. :thumbup:

Thanks guys , this forum is a life saver.

Regards.................dannyboy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Davffc, I`m in the republic of Ireland, haven`t heard of Timpsons but it looks like local locksmiths can do a non remote key for about 65 Euro which is about 50 Sterling. Tks for the info.............Dannyboy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts