Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've got big problems with the 2005 156 jts. It idles anywhere between 750 and 2200 revs, and also surges while driving. Even when the idle drops to 750 it's very lumpy. I've tried a different throttle body and it's no different, so I don't think that's the problem. I get code P1654:

Anomaly on the control solenoid valve circuit for the inlet system with variable length manifolds (V.I.S.). Check the solenoid valve efficiency, the correct positive supply and the circuit of the solenoid valve to the ECU.
The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was not activated for this fault.

That doesn't seem very specific! Any ideas on where I should start looking?

Cheers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try this, 90 sec contact on ( do not start the car ), 90 sec contact off, do not touch the gaspedal when proceding.
Start the car and make a test drive taking care of going trough all driving situations.
This procedure resets the throttle position on the JTS as wel as on the TS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've tried that with no luck. The car runs a bit better for 10 minutes or so then the problems come back. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm at a loss here. I've replaced the throttle body and MAF. There are no air leaks in the inlet pipe. I've re-seated the PCV valve and it seems air tight. I can't think of anything else to check with the engine.

I do have a leaking exhaust, which is probably leaking near the manifold. Could that cause the idle to surge unpredictably? The only other problem I can see is the sensor on top of the engine, which swivels in its socket and doesn't seem perfect. But I assume it measures oil rather than air and probably wouldn't affect the idle. One of the torx bolts holding it in is stripped in any case so I can't get it out to clean it.

Could it be the leaking exhaust? Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm at my wit's end here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had also problems with the JTS,as the car had not run for 2 years first what i did was filled it up with a full tank of petrol ( 98 ron ) ad on a doubble dose of injector cleaner ( this neutralises any condens damp/water in the petrol also) i had imediatly more power and no hics anymore . I also changed the throttle body and cleaned the inside of the throttle body and the electrical side also. First try , no good after repeating this procedure several times i secured the connector on the throttle body with a verry tight strap and did the 90 sec procedure as discribed .........................no problems any more. I also advise to clean the 2 big connectors behind the motorblock even when you do not see any corrosion As cc the outlet, it could have some effect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still haven't made any progress with this. I'm randomly replacing parts and sensors but without any success. My idle is still erratic and I keep getting error code P1654, which then triggers other codes. Does anyone know what P1654 means? Ecuscan comes up with this:

Anomaly on the control solenoid valve circuit for the inlet system with variable length manifolds (V.I.S.). Check the solenoid valve efficiency, the correct positive supply and the circuit of the solenoid valve to the ECU.
The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was not activated for this fault. anomally on the control solenoid valve circuit for the inlet system with variable length manifolds (V.I.S.). Check the solenoid valve efficiency, the correct positive supply and the circuit of the solenoid valve to the ECU.
The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was not activated for this fault.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I still haven't made any progress with this. I'm randomly replacing parts and sensors but without any success. My idle is still erratic and I keep getting error code P1654, which then triggers other codes. Does anyone know what P1654 means? Ecuscan comes up with this:

The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was not activated for this fault. anomally on the control solenoid valve circuit for the inlet system with variable length manifolds (V.I.S.). Check the solenoid valve efficiency, the correct positive supply and the circuit of the solenoid valve to the ECU.

Any ideas?
The fault referes to the modular inlet manifold , this one is monitored by the black plastic sort off a pump on the left side of the modular manifold.There is an electrical conector on it. I think this is the same as on a late ( after 1998 ) TS so must be available cheap second hand. Easy to replace.
i ame not an electrical wizard butt on the forum there must be guys who can tell you how to test it.
I think symply disconnet the thing and putt 12 volt on it then ther should be some movement, again i ame not shure

·
Registered
227 Posts
The fault referes to the modular inlet manifold , this one is monitored by the black plastic sort off a pump on the left side of the modular manifold.There is an electrical conector on it. I think this is the same as on a late ( after 1998 ) TS so must be available cheap second hand. Easy to replace.
i ame not an electrical wizard butt on the forum there must be guys who can tell you how to test it.
I think symply disconnet the thing and putt 12 volt on it then ther should be some movement, again i ame not shure
I looked quickly to my car and there is a vacuum hose on it , is that one still ok?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts