Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've recently got myself a 2005 156 JTS Ti and it's fantastic! But like me it likes to complain in the mornings.

Without fail, I get the engine light come on about a minute after first start in the morning. Then I turn it off and on again and everything is fine, the car drives very well, without any obvious faults. The codes read as P0300 and P0303 which are misfires and misfires on cylinder three, but as soon as I restart the engine, the faults clear and do not re-appear.

So I don't really think it is misfiring. It feels smooth and has plenty of power.

I've read lots of threads on this kind of problem so I swapped round the ignition coils and replaced the spark plugs and the error stays with cylinder 3.

Does anyone have any ideas? Apparently the two connectors at the back of the engine bay can cause problems, should I give these a good clean?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hello all,

I've recently got myself a 2005 156 JTS Ti and it's fantastic! But like me it likes to complain in the mornings.

Without fail, I get the engine light come on about a minute after first start in the morning. Then I turn it off and on again and everything is fine, the car drives very well, without any obvious faults. The codes read as P0300 and P0303 which are misfires and misfires on cylinder three, but as soon as I restart the engine, the faults clear and do not re-appear.

So I don't really think it is misfiring. It feels smooth and has plenty of power.

I've read lots of threads on this kind of problem so I swapped round the ignition coils and replaced the spark plugs and the error stays with cylinder 3.

Does anyone have any ideas? Apparently the two connectors at the back of the engine bay can cause problems, should I give these a good clean?
injector problem then..... i would check connection/s

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same problem and kept getting P0300 & P0303, swapped coils did nothing, I took it to Auto Lusso in Bournemouth and their did the injectors, all good after that.

When the light comes on does it flash or is it on solid?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same problem and kept getting P0300 & P0303, swapped coils did nothing, I took it to Auto Lusso in Bournemouth and their did the injectors, all good after that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also check to see if oil is leaking into your number 3 plug hole from your cam cover. Start with the cheapest fixs first but do get onto it asap otherwise it will be goodbye cat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for you replies. I'll check and clean the connections and for any oil in the plug hole and see if that helps. If not i'll investigate the injectors.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It flashes but then it clears after about a minute. Then if I clear the fault codes with FiatECUscan, they stay cleared until the next morning when it happens again. This makes me think it's more of an electrical issue rather than a problem with the injector.

But then again, I really don't know what i'm talking about!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Injectors......

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
...or the loom. It will almost certainly need the injectors refurbishing though, even if it's not the root cause.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update. I've only had the car for a few weeks and the weather here in the uk has been very cold, especially in the mornings. This last week has been much warmer and the fault has gone away. I'm gonna see how it goes and see what happens. Hopefully it's just complaining about the English weather like the rest of us!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Little update. I've only had the car for a few weeks and the weather here in the uk has been very cold, especially in the mornings. This last week has been much warmer and the fault has gone away. I'm gonna see how it goes and see what happens. Hopefully it's just complaining about the English weather like the rest of us!
water temp sensor faulty not giving ecu correct info ....start her from cold and do a graph on FES and you will see

ps ...check connector on sender

L

·
0 Posts
check the spark plugs, they should only be NGK, anyhting else will can issues. Also they shoudl be replaced every 60k miles, so how old are your car's plugs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same issue, but only on low revs?

Hi - having the same issue with P300 and P303 for cylinder 3. Relatively fresh from service and quite new plugs as well. The issue for me happens only at low revs (from idle to 2000rpm) and when I give a lot of gas - the error message comes up as clock work but then goes away. At high revs it never appears even if I floor it.

Also injectors you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Eml

Some time back I had a JTS, great car, very sorry to see it go, but these issues seem to come with the car. When I first got mine I stripped and checked all the earths of the car, I then separated all the connectors, cleaned and refitted. Over a period of time I bought new coil packs, and I had a set of injectors cleaned and ready to fit (never got around to that, this in the garage). The upshot of this is that the car just got better and better, EML never came on and the car ran like an express train, it took me on many continental trips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts