Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I bought this 156 for Mrs Avocet and the guy who sold it gave me the rest of the can he'd just used for an oil change for top-ups. It was a cheap non-name supermarket 10W40 grade. :eek:

Looking in the manual, it appears to need fully synthetic 10W60 - Selenia, of course!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I ran it for a few thousand miles, on the cheap oil, during which it never used a DROP! Then I changed the oil, I found some Mobil 1 on special offer and thought I'd give it a go. Only 15W50 though - not 10 W 60, but I reckoned that it had to be an improvement on 10 W 40!

To my horror, I find that it now appears to be burning some oil! It's a bit early to say yet, but after 500 miles, it seems to be visibly lower on the dipstick - maybe half a pint?

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks but does anyone else have any advice on this? Do I really need 10 W 60? Should I go back to cheap mineral 10 W 40?

Seemed a bit od to me!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
10w40 was the recommendation for the TS if I recall correctly , but the JTS is meant to be run on fully synthetic 10w60.

I personally wouldn't run any mineral oils in a performance car, but I know many people who use 10w40 semi synthetic in their JTS car (as per TS spec) without any problems.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta for that. Yes, my manual certainly says fully synthetic 10W60 for the JTS. But I'm curious as to why it should start burning oil on 15W50 and NOT when using 10W40! My understanding was that using a thicker oil can increase oil consumption - so, fair enough, I've gone from a 40 to a 50 (when the engine is warm), but that makes me think it will use even MORE if I swap to a 60?!

·
Registered
224 Posts
1. You buy a car, where the previous owner has been running out of spec oil for possibly the life of the car.
2. You read the manual to find out the correct grade of oil.
3. You decide to put the wrong grade of oil in.
4. You post some questions on a internet forum wondering what went wrong.

You aint the brightest are you????

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
1. You buy a car, where the previous owner has been running out of spec oil for possibly the life of the car.

:lol:

A bit harsh but still funny.

My advice: Give it a flush, refill with oil of the correct spec, and monitor useage over the next few thousand miles.

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
By the way, normally the thicker the oil, the less is burnt. Seeing an increase in consumption from using a 10W40 to a 15W50 is unusual.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Thanks for your illuminating and erudite response!

So, can you actually answer my question, or is your principal qualification just in mickey-taking?

So far, the "brightest" person in all this is the PO who got away with cheapo supermarket oil and managed to get it not to burn any!

·
Registered
39,320 Posts
The only reason Alfa specify a 10w-60 for the JTS (and later TS engines) is to help control oil consumption.

As we all know bottom end issues are common due to people being too lazy/ignorant to open the bonnet and use the dipstick.
The use of a thicker oil was to increase the chance of the car actually making it through the 12,000 mile service interval without needing topping up.

The bottom end of the JTS is exactly the same as the 2.0 TS and the head is similar. A 10w-40 won't do any harm, but you may find you need to top up more often.

The reason why thew Mobil 1 may be burning faster is that some oils are more volatile than others. A 15w-50 oil is too thick when cold, a 10w-50 (or obviously the 10w-40) would be better choice by the way.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ta, that's handy to know.

I was more worried about the viscosity when cold than anything else - especially regarding whether or not the variator would fill quickly enough after a cold startup. I didn't actually think it would burn the stuff though - especially as it didn't on the '40 grade!

I guess I'll have to change it again. I see Opieoils are doing a reasonable deal on Castrol Edge, which is a 10W60. I might have a go at some of that...

...unless anyone has tried it and reckons it's no good?

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
Make sure it's Edge and not (the cheaper) Edge sport which is 0w-40...
"Edge Sport" is also available as a 10W60.
Castrol do both "Edge" and "Edge Sport" as 10W60.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
That is true, there are two Castrol 10w-60 oils, the Edge and the Edge Sport. The Edge is teh BMW M series approved oil and to be honest is a better quality product then the Edge Sport.

If you want the dogs danglies of 10w-60 then have a look at this one Gulf Competition 10w-60 racing engine oil

To the OP, the Mobil 1 brand does have a habbit of dissapearing but going from a tinner oil to a thicker oil should not increase consumption, perhaps it did have 10w-60 in it already.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
As others ahve said you're best to flush it and go for the alternative spec oils as suggested. There's no point taking any risks anyway with your Alfa engine, merely for a few pounds. And I don't like Mobil 1 anyway, tried it once, stained all the inside of the cam cover, never again.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If I was planning on racing or ragging the b*llix out of my car I'd probably use a fully synthetic oil................ *** it is I use Mobil 1 ........... I check the oil religiously every week and yes, it uses a little not enough to worry about though.............. and it uses less on Mobil1 than it did when I used Castrol Magnatec ............... and far less after I had the thermostat changed.

............. I also have a new filter and oil change twice a year.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
You can get the recommended Selenia from Shop4Parts ... and your dealer should be able to order it in if they haven't got any.

I've heard of 156's using more of one type of oil than others: Castrol Magnatex is one I remember reading about.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all, some very useful info there. I had always assumed that thicker oil reduced oil consumption but I've a feeling I've read somewhere (and I'm damned if I can remember where!) that it actually can have the OPPOSITE effect! Something do do with clinging better to the bores and not letting the scraper rings do their job. Did I imagine that?!

Bit more about the car. It's a very early (02) JTS and was bought as a cheap runabout for Mrs A - who isn't in the least bit perfomance-orientated. It was cheap because it had thrown a rod and the PO fitted another engine from (I'm told) an 06 car that had been crashed. It definitely had supermarket 10W40 in it because he gave me the rest of the can in the boot for topups. Having just got rid of Mrs A's 1.8TS, which always used 10W40 (and plenty of it!) I didn't think anything of it at the time (other than the fact that it was cheap no-name oil). It was only recently when I decided to do a change that I looked in the handbook and noticed the rather small footnote "for decidedly sportive use of the car, fully synthetic Selenia Racing 10W60 engine oil is recommended. For JTS versions use only SAE 10W60 synthetic oil. Recommended product Selenia Racing." So, as the engine hadn't burned a drop on 10W40, I saw this "bargain" 15W50 Mobil 1 and thought I'd give it a go. The rest, as they say, is history!

I'm also very interested in Rizla's comment that the oil consumption when DOWN after changing the thermostat. I'd have thought the oil would be even thicker if the engine was running too cold?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I still use a bit, however consumption does appear to have gone down since I switched to Millers 0W-50 fully synth. I am also led to believe the Halfrauds 5W-50 works rather well in the JTS.

That said - I still just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
That is true, there are two Castrol 10w-60 oils, the Edge and the Edge Sport. The Edge is teh BMW M series approved oil and to be honest is a better quality product then the Edge Sport.

If you want the dogs danglies of 10w-60 then have a look at this one Gulf Competition 10w-60 racing engine oil
I like the look of that Gulf, not much dearer than Castrol, and I dont trust Castrol 'synthetic' motor oils. I think I'll ave some of that, spec looks great.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
^^^^^ Hey-up CJ how you doing?? Not seen ya around in yonks. Hiding???:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts