Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After more than a year of the dreaded MCSF message popping up on a regular basis, I have finally found the solution! The message was originally diagnosed as pointing to the Lambda sensors which were duly replaced, then a different MAF sensor was tried, which made the car perform noticeably better, but the message came back. A new thermostat was fitted and eventually a brand new MAF sensor was fitted and was found to be ineffective. Various connectors were cleaned and wires soldered and much re-setting of parameters and clearing of fault codes carried out by garages with magnificent electronic equipment and very experienced operatives. The car was treated to new dampers and suspension wishbones, exhaust parts (what a nightmare) and brakes. However this weekend I finally found the solution. I bought a Golf diesel and gave the problem to someone else. Looking back over my five years or ownership I can't believe what torture the vehicle has put me through and how I was under it's evil spell for so long. I feel that the Alfa Romeo brand is just a myth and the 156 deserves it's place in history along with the Allegro and Rover SD1. I would urge you all to come over before it's too late..... Goodbye

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Brilliant second post, obviously the OP didn't think to ask for help here, but happy to give Alfa a slagging :rolleyes:

Good riddance :thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
Brilliant second post, obviously the OP didn't think to ask for help here, but happy to give Alfa a slagging :rolleyes:

Good riddance :thumbs:
thought you were complimenting my post :cheese:

L

·
0 Posts
his 1st post was more helpful :)

I have just experienced the unavailability of aftermarket systems and I think I now have the solution! I needed to replace the flexy and first box at least. My solution was to get the Powerflow agent in Southampton to make an expensive replacement which has works fine and I will be able to replace the back 2 sections as they are the same as the 2.5 v6.
Annoyingly, I'm sure the correct answer is to buy the Cybox JTS system. They have helpfully answered my queries and It is available on Ebay at a really good price. This information arrived the day after I had Powerflow fix it!
amazingly I did the opposite. I used a '02 JTS rear box & mid section to replace the rotten rear box & mid section of a '00 V6 ...... well blow's me down :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
...However this weekend I finally found the solution. ... Goodbye
:cheese:

That's no solution. Quiting is more like it. Alfa is like life itself, you have good times & bad times, & some problems become part of life...

Anyway :thumbs:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Owned a 156 JTS Lusso for about 2 months, had the wiper motor replaced £70 fitted. Other than that it runs like a dream. I'd rather sit in the car than in my sitting room but the wife won't let me.

I don't think i will buy any other make of car again and the tips and advice on here are incredible

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I too have the dreaded engine management light on, on my GT after a leaky turbo hose. I am just waiting for the connection gubbins (got a bluetooth one) to arrive.

However I owned a 2003 VW Passat a couple of years ago. I sold that down to two reasons. 1) Part of a divorce arrangement 2) I was sick of a Christmas tree dashboard and a swimming pool passenger floor well.
I bought a 2003 Rover 25 to replace it. You know what? I had no problems at all with it except for a MAF problem, it turned out the CAT had disintegrated. Still had far more confidence in the Rover than I did the VW.

You may well find your Golf at some point with lights on everywhere. All new(ish) cars that are full of electrickey can behave in this annoying manner.

The joy I get with (even) this diesel Alfa (I also have a 2.0 TS Spider) is the car has character and looks great.
The Golf on the otherhand is ditchwater or dishwater whatever you prefer. Good luck with it and try not to nod off too many times when driving it. They are as dull as **** ;)

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
After more than a year of the dreaded MCSF message popping up on a regular basis, I have finally found the solution! The message was originally diagnosed as pointing to the Lambda sensors which were duly replaced, then a different MAF sensor was tried, which made the car perform noticeably better, but the message came back. A new thermostat was fitted and eventually a brand new MAF sensor was fitted and was found to be ineffective. Various connectors were cleaned and wires soldered and much re-setting of parameters and clearing of fault codes carried out by garages with magnificent electronic equipment and very experienced operatives. The car was treated to new dampers and suspension wishbones, exhaust parts (what a nightmare) and brakes. However this weekend I finally found the solution. I bought a Golf diesel and gave the problem to someone else. Looking back over my five years or ownership I can't believe what torture the vehicle has put me through and how I was under it's evil spell for so long. I feel that the Alfa Romeo brand is just a myth and the 156 deserves it's place in history along with the Allegro and Rover SD1. I would urge you all to come over before it's too late..... Goodbye

Missing you already. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts