Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some opinions/advice please...

Last week some %$x*^! rear ended my lovely 156 2.0 JTS Veloce and I've just been informed this afternoon that given the new shape it's sporting at the back it's being considered as a total loss. They are asking what I think the market value is of the car and I'd like some advice on what to tell them. A quick look on autotrader suggests a similar replacement would be any where between £2000 and £4000, how much should I be pushing for? I don't want to go silly, but also don't want to sell myself short either. The other driver has admitted liability and the claim is being handled by my own insurance, does that mean that they are likely to be more generous on the settlement given that they will recover the costs?

My car is/was :

156 2.0 JTS Veloce (31/01/2005 - 54 plate)
74400 miles
11.5 months MOT (new tyres, discs, pads 2 weeks ago!)
1 wee cosmetic scuff on the corner of the front bumper, otherwise it's in pretty good nick.

I'm hoping I don't end up with a cheque that will only stretch to a 51 plate fiesta!

thanks

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some opinions/advice please...

Last week some %$x*^! rear ended my lovely 156 2.0 JTS Veloce and I've just been informed this afternoon that given the new shape it's sporting at the back it's being considered as a total loss. They are asking what I think the market value is of the car and I'd like some advice on what to tell them. A quick look on autotrader suggests a similar replacement would be any where between £2000 and £4000, how much should I be pushing for? I don't want to go silly, but also don't want to sell myself short either. The other driver has admitted liability and the claim is being handled by my own insurance, does that mean that they are likely to be more generous on the settlement given that they will recover the costs?

My car is/was :

156 2.0 JTS Veloce (31/01/2005 - 54 plate)
74400 miles
11.5 months MOT (new tyres, discs, pads 2 weeks ago!)
1 wee cosmetic scuff on the corner of the front bumper, otherwise it's in pretty good nick.

I'm hoping I don't end up with a cheque that will only stretch to a 51 plate fiesta!

thanks
it what it costs to replace your car so go by your condition and comparte prices

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
ill give you example ..when i wrote of my 156 v6 x reg 2001 veloce leather 86k all work done immaculate i was offered 1350 for it and i argued for a few months i finally got paid out 2400 ..this was down from me argueing that ones for sale need huge bills thus the pricing

·
Registered
306 Posts
You could insist on another opinion on being a rightoff, they are quick at this, nice & easy & try to payout low & still have the car themselves. My wifes car a while ago was written off & when I followed up no one had actually looked at the car, eventually they agreed to repair. Insurance compan
ies should be ready to pay up to the going price of a car in repairs but fall well short. So perhaps worth a check?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Just compile a list of all the comparable cars on sale, and advise the insurance company that as the contract requires you to be in no worse financial position post-accident compared to pre-accident you either require £x as a settlement or they can source a suitable vehicle in matching condition to your own themselves.

Just don't tell them that I bought an 03 JTS with a damaged OSR door last week for £350......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts