Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

my 156 is at it again. After a couple of months trouble free (previously had to change the throttle pedal) its hesitating and stuttering under acceleration in all gears. It started only in 4th and 5th, but has worked it's way down through them all now.

If I back off the throttle and accelerate a little less enthusiastically it goes away, if i don't, i get MCSF and a lot of beeping for 10-30 seconds, and then it goes into limp mode, which is drivable, but very slow.

I'm thinking fuel starvation? I've got a filter for it, and before anyone says otherwise, the 2.0JTS does have a fuel filter and I know where it is and how to change it. Failing that, what's the next most likely cause?

Thanks,

Sam.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on an 03 plate with just short of 125,000 miles under it.

Codes read:

P0154 - O2 sensor no activity bank 2 sensor 1 (this is intermittent - has been there for some time and has not previously had any effect on performance)
P0120 - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor switch A circuit (yeah right - it's brand new!)
P1151 - Manufacturer control ???
P1122 - Manufacturer control ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hang on,

P1151 - Lack Of HO2S21 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean
P1122 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent Low Voltage

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was easy, all changed out in about 10 minutes.

Sectioned the old filter, seemed quite clean.

Car seems to run better now, with the power being more progressive rather than in big lumps.

Will have to wait and see how long this lasts for, but I'm guessing, not long...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, didn't last long at all. Never mind, it only cost a tenner.

Car now spends most of it's time in limp mode, in fact, yesterday when accelerating onto a motorway, got to 70, and the throttle body slammed shut, and the engine became totally unresponsive. Had to pull over to the hard shoulder and shut it off for a minute, but then all was well for the next 20 miles or so.

Had a chat with Dan at Autolusso this morning, he tells me that the throttle body assembly is probably fubar, so I got another one ordered and on it's way to me.

Will keep you informed, if anyone's even reading this. It's becoming more of a blog than a discussion thread.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Mine's in the garage and I was going to have the fuel filter replaced, but they can't see one in the obvious places - where is it on yours?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Under the car, in front of the drivers side rear wheel, there is a recess between the fuel tank and the rear footwell.

2 10mm nuts hold a plastic housing containg the filter to the body, drop it down before detaching the fuel pipes, makes life much easier (they are speed clips and there is plenty of length is the hoses to play with once it's free).

Once you have the housing and filter liberated from the car, there is a screw that retains the filter - mine was badly rusted and had to be drilled out and replaced with a suitable nut and bolt.

Easy job, took about 10 mins in total.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Apparently my car doesn't have one - the recess is there but nothing in it!
Thats Alfa for you! I have asked them if my has one to change it, still waiting on some new injectors as the first lots where dead!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts