Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just got a brief message from my wife who has just driven 100 miles to Birmingham.

Apparently she cannot select 5th and it jumps out of 4th when she backs off. The gear lever feels loose apparently.:rolleyes:

Anyone got experience of this? Is it likely to be a gear selector problem, or something more serious? (I'd hope not with this many miles and the lack of abuse the car's had)

The car 156 2.0 JTS (2003), 50,000 mile approx

I realise definitive diagnosis is difficult, but anything to quickly look at would be a great help.

Many Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
sounds like something loose on the linkage to me.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
me too, the jumping out of 4th is probably because it isn't pushed all the way in to start with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.....Got the car back and its not looking good.

The gear lever feels normal

Every gear except 5th seems fine to me.

5th will engage (with a slight crunch). When you release the clutch the gear lever pushes (quite forcefully) back to almost the 'neutral position'. There is drive, but as soon as you take off the load by backing of the throttle it pops into neutral.

Looks like a gearbox stripdown/ rebuild - any suggestions where to go, I live in Hampshire.

This is an import and out of warranty, are Alfa Romeo likely to offer a contribution if they do the work?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If it is out of warranty, then it won't be covered...

As for someone in Hampshire: AH Motorsports

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
David C, as you know I am well out of date, so should p'raps shut Up! just wondered if it was weak detent balls/plungers/springs, or 'somat' like that?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Could be.
I don't think that part of gearboxes has changed in design for some time.
On my old Sud I had the selector fork inside the gearbox slide along the selector shaft. That resulted in the gear not being pushed fully home when the shaft was in its detent position. Fine under power, but jumped out as soon as I lifted off.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
delete this.

Forum playing up again!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Thanks David C, fork wear was also something remembered, also the teeth on the synchro gears were I believe keystone shaped to lock hard and fast under force. Cripes realise how much componentry knowledge/names I have forgotten. Time to 'pop' me clogs, I reckon!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts