Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had cam belt changed at 53000 miles on my 156 2.0 litre JTS. Engine makes whining noise between 1000rpm and 2000rpm. Car been back to dealer 3 times and noise still there. Im sure something is amiss but dont know what. (Also belts tweet like birds when starting first thing in the morning but goes away when warm - but that may not be related). Any ideas as to what problem may be?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Had cam belt changed at 53000 miles on my 156 2.0 litre JTS. Engien makes whining noise between 1000rpm and 2000rpm. Car been back to delare 3 times and noise sill there. IM sure something is amiss but dont know what. (ALSO belts tweet like birds when starting first thing in h morning but goes away when warm but that may not be related). Any ideas as to what problem may be?

The "bird tweeting" noise is the aux belt, upon start up there is a spring loaded belt stretcher that is supposed to tension the belt after a couple of turns of the engine before it fires up, but these things can get "lazy" with age, hence your "tweeting" on start up, the spring is possibly sticking.

BTW, mine was exactly the same!, £230 for a new belt and stretcher:(

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The TS/JTS tensioner is much cheaper than the Jtd.

I think whats happened is the mechanic has too the aux belt off to fit the new timing belt and its not happy going back on.

Get a new aux belt and tensioner - any garage can do it, its a bit of a pest DIY though as access is through the wheel arch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car went back into the dealer for the 4th time but as usual they did nothing and said nothing!! They did wash it though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts